The One with a Base

The world was far more livable before the virus hit. We are one of the few survivors and call ourselves Warriors of the Night. We are what's left of humanity and there are few of us who believe humans can be saved, or at least what we think are humans. They look like humans, talk like humans, and breed like humans, but it seems their walking corpses are another work of the Devil. This devil is called Professor Singh, the mad scientist who started it all. She was the one who created the Zombie Virus, or at least that's what we call it. Some of us, who remain to have faith, call it the Apocalypse and the End of our humanity.

Bullocks.

Food is scarce, water is poisoned, and needs monthly decontamination. It is no longer a problem since a dozen of our finest eliminated the Zombies working there and regained the water base and some of the local laboratories.

We take care of our own—at least what's left of us.

"Romeo!" shouted a distant voice. "Come on, the meeting is going to start!"

I hear her quite well, but I do not reply as I lay at the doorsteps of the abandoned mansion, this wrecked old place that we call our base. I leave the sharpening of my tools and I look up at the sky, waiting for any breeze that might come back to life and shake the dying trees. I reminisce about the days when I was no older than twelve and used to walk this very Forest, live in this very house, and run after my brothers while pretending we are fighting off Dragons of the Mystical Forest. There was so much to Life, so many memories...

"Romeo!" a young girl came into view behind the bulky trees and came running with whatever breath remained in her childish body.

"Did you not hear me?" asked a familiar voice.

Her eyebrow twitched, and her eyes squinted as she placed her hands on her hips, looking at me in exhaustion.

"Yes, Juliet, I heard you the first time."

"Then why haven't you answered me?"

"My dearest sister, do you not see that I'm running away?"

"Must I remind you that you are the older sister, which means you are responsible for us? And, if I may add, you must be present to conduct the meeting, or have you forgotten that as well?" 

She released a sound that seemed to be a huff.

"Oh, for heaven's sake! Can't you, for once, just conduct the meeting and leave me alone?" I asked, genuinely frustrated.

"Not when the world is dying, Romeo!" her voice shook the steps beneath me.

Somehow, when the Professor released this virus, it didn't affect some of us.  It mutated itself and as a counter consequence gave us what seemed to be magical abilities. We could move tables, telepaths, or even teleport, and sometimes when our emotions are heightened, we could control nature. Hence, my little sister is shaking the wooden steps beneath me.

"Watch me," I challenged her.

The shaking stopped, and she stepped closer to me. "You cannot keep running away forever, my dearest Romeo. You have to face your demons sooner; otherwise, we won't survive without our leader."

"I never planned to be your leader, and you were never meant to be a warrior. And the age of 10, for heaven's sake! You were meant to be free, play with other children your age, and have your first kiss as I did!"

I pointed in the air and called upon whatever God may be left to end this madness.

"The world has changed, Romeo, you taught me that."

She placed her small palm on my back and looked at me with her gooey eyes.

"I am the best warrior in our team because of you. I know losing our four brothers mustn't have been easy on you. But residing in the past will not bring them back."

Pain and loss of Hope threatened to consume Juliet's soul.

I refused to look any longer in her eyes, so I kept staring at the woods aimlessly. Hoping that somehow, this war between humanity and Zombies would end.

I need to save my little sister.

I closed my eyes before I give a chance for my suppressed tears to surrender. The weight of my undying consciousness and responsibility knocked on my chest and gave me the strength to refuse to surrender. There was only one thought that ignited my soul more than my unresolved emotional issues: my nemesis must die.

Naomi Singh must be punished for her madness, and the War of Zombies must end.

"Fine, gather everyone. If we will seek justice, we will need to move to Phase III. No more throwing fire, no more stalling."

I look at my sister as hope spread into her body invitingly.

"If we want to win this war, you will need to do exactly as I say, little one. No more foul play, understood?"

She nodded her head and beamed at the woods.

"I mind-linked everyone, they are ready, Captain."

Juliet stood up and saluted me before she ran inside the mansion to prepare for our meeting.