Chapter 14

Chapter 14
    “Alright class, as your extra credit homework, you’ll be put in pairs,” said Mr. Hickery in his usual half-dead tone of voice.
“In front of me here is a box containing some of your names. Half of the class will pick and whoever you pick, you will write down in the book in front of me before you leave the class. The topic is how this school is tied to the history of Mystery Falls. This assignment is due Friday. That gives you three days. Of course you can turn it in before then. Enjoy the rest of your day.”
    Immediately after that, the bell rang and he sat in his chair behind the table.
    Starting from the right corner of the class, everyone began to pick pieces of paper from the box in front of Mr. Hickery’s desk. Some were happy about their partners, others, not so much.
When half of the class had selected, the box was empty. I didn’t get to select anyone and neither did Blake, Elizabeth and Freya. Freya was selected by someone named Dexter. Daphne was lucky enough to be paired with Elizabeth while Blake was selected by a girl named Courtney.
    Just as I was about to leave the class, Mr. Hickery asked me to wait behind.
    ‘What question does he have for me this time?’ I asked myself.
He didn’t say anything until everyone already left and the door was closed.
    “Why do you think I asked some of your classmates to select random names from this box for the assignment?” he asked.
“Be one hundred percent honest.”
“I don’t know. Maybe behind your expressionless face is someone who believes in teamwork for some reason,” I non-chalantly answered.
    “You’re exactly right,” he said and adjusted himself on his chair.
‘Oh’ I said under my breath.
    “You just don’t know, but teachers including this school’s principal don’t exactly like your class. Why? Your class has the worst scores this school has ever seen.”
    ‘Well this is shocking,’ I said to myself.
    “It’s been that way since their middle school years. It’s not all bad, but compared to past years, your class is not exactly what Mystery Falls should be proud of, considering her past feats and achievements.”
    “With all due respect sir, I don’t see why you’re telling me this. I’m not responsible for my classmate’s scores,” I said forcefully suppressing a rude tone of speech.
    “All the teachers have their eyes on you Mr. Collins. Your scores in all tests go beyond expectations. There will be loads offers coming your way. Make the right choices and don’t be lumped in with them.”
    “I will sir. Thank you.”
    ************
    ‘What exactly does he want me to do?’ I asked myself, staring into space while plying the halls
    On getting to my locker, I met Clyde standing in front of it. His locker was opposite mine and he knew that quite well.
    “Is something wrong?” I asked.
    “Oh no. I just wanted to wait for you so we could discuss how we were going to do concerning the assignment”
‘Thank Yokai,’ I said to myself, letting out a sigh of relief.
    “How about my house?” he asked.
     “It’s closer to the school and library so if we need anything we can just walk over to the library for quick research,” he added.
    I had never visited anyone else’s house since I moved to here to Mystery Falls. Not even any of dad or mom’s friends. Going over to Clyde’s wasn’t such a bad idea.
    “No problem.”
************
    “Welcome to my humble abode,” said Clyde.
The house layout was quite similar to ours. The chairs in the living room were arranged in the same manner. The stairs were in the same position as ours. The type of furniture and their colors was what differentiated his house from mine. It was like an alternate dimension of where I lived.
    “Come on. Let’s go to my room.”
    His room was quite similar to mine. Loads of framed pictures of colorful doodles and crazy-cartoon characters decorated the walls. His reading-table was well organized and his shoes were arranged in a corner in a very orderly fashion. The light that came in from the window added more effect to the smooth blue walls. .
“Clyde, did you make these drawings?”
He stayed quiet for a while and stared at me.
“Yes actually but I like to keep it hidden. It makes me feel sort of embarrassed,” he said.
“Why” I asked and placed my bag on his bed.
I couldn’t explain it, but something about Clyde intrigued me a lot. I wanted to know more.
“Hold on.”
He walked into his closet and brought out about three books. They were hard cover.
He told me to sit down and then he handed them to me.
    I opened the first book slowly and my eyes went wide as I stepped into whole new world.
Inside that book were doodles drawn in different styles. His coloring skills were off the charts. He even had cartoon characters he created.
    “You’re hiding the fact that you’re an excellent artist?!” I asked with a little enthusiasm.
    “I won’t say excellent,” he said, trying to be modest.
    “Take it from me. You are a really good artist. These could fetch you loads of attention if you put them out there.”
    “My parents say its good, but I feel it’s just the whole family support thing,” he said.
    “Well, you’re really good and people need to see this,” I encouraged.
    “You really think so?” he asked.
    “Yeah. You--”
Just as I was about to say another word, someone walked into his room. From her looks, she was his mother.
    “Hey mom,” Clyde greeted.
She said nothing back but stared at me with a foul look in her eyes. It was quite similar to the one Freya gave me when I came to visit Erica.
    “Get out,” she said softly.
Her words left me frozen.
    “You’re not deaf now are you? Leave my house!” she said again.
I immediately took to my feet and grabbed my bag, unsure of what was going on.
    “Mom he can’t leave. We have Hickery’s assignment to work on together,” said Clyde, coming to my aid.
She stared at him for a while then spoke again.
    “Finish up and leave immediately you’re done. And I don’t ever want to see you step foot into this house ever again. Do I make myself clear?!”
    “Yes ma’am,” I responded quietly.