Chapter 28

Dad didn’t bother to wake me up for our morning training as I was tired from saving the city the previous night. Mom didn’t want me to go to school, but I insisted.
      As I rounded up my school preparations, I received a phone call. The called had no Caller ID, so I guessed it was probably someone from the military that wanted to commend me for a job well done.
      “Hello.”
      “I am indeed proud that I made you my student Kai Tage(Black Blade).”
      On hearing the voice over the phone, my eyes widened and I went down on one knee and bowed. He wasn’t in the room, but I bore so much respect for Master Daiwi that even if I saw his shadow, I would take to the ground.
    “Rise, my child,” he said.
     “Congratulations on saving your city.”
     “Thank you master. It’s all thanks to your training,” I said humbly.
     “But I didn’t call you to commend you on a job well done my child. I called to warn you,” he said, ending the pleasant moment.
     The mood shifted in seconds. It was just like when mom told me that he called.
     “Mystery Falls is down for a shaking. One it might not survive.”
     “Shaking?” I asked in a whisper.
     “You and your family will be in the center of it all and responsibilities will rest on your shoulders Henry. Be careful. Know the ones you’ll trust and guard your heart.”
    “Hai,” I said like I was a soldier who had just received orders from his superior.
    “Master, why--”
Just as I was about to ask him why he didn’t tell me my generational heritage, he hung up.
     “Just great.”
    **********
     On my way to school, his warning was all I could think of. What was coming was going to be more dangerous and long term unlike the mercenaries I faced.
    To stop myself from thinking about the danger approaching, I opened my phone to reply relevant messages, only to meet a rather shocking message from Freya.
    “I’m breaking up with you,” the message read.
    “You okay?” Heather asked, noticing the lost look on my face.
    “Yeah, I’m fine.”
    *******
    “I still don’t support you going to school today Henry.”
    “Mom it’s fine. Don’t worry about it,” I assured her.
    “Remember, don’t tell anyone about yesterday or Lever.”
    “I won’t. Bye.”
    Freya wasn’t at the entrance waiting for me as usual. Neither was she waiting for me at my locker. I didn’t think she would be the one to bring about our break-up. I could’ve avoided her since we were no longer a thing, but I felt the need to talk to her.
    *********************
    After the class before lunch, I had Freya wait in the classroom so we could have our little chat.
    “I got your text,” I began, and slipped my hands into the pockets of my black hoodie and sitting on the edge of a desk.
    “Then why are you speaking to me?” she asked, folding her arms across her chest.
    “Because I know it’s definitely not because I dislocated a shoulder or broke a nose?” I replied.
She stared at me and bit her lower lip before finally speaking.
    “I was done dating a liar, if you must know.”
    “A liar?” I asked.
    “I know you’ve been going to see Misty. Even when you know I don’t like her, you still--”
    “And you think I care?”
She stopped and gave me an annoyingly long glare.
    “I don’t exactly like many of your friends, but I don’t complain. I don’t choose your friends Freya, and you don’t choose mine.”
    My words came out calmly but they carried the power it needed to deliver my message.
The air between both of us shifted. We both felt the same emotion, only hers seemed to be higher.
    She brushed past me and walked out the door without uttering a statement and in that moment, break-up was added to my life experience
    Our friends were filled in on the details if my relationship status and of course pleaded for us to get back together. How futile.
        *************
    After exams, MFHS was getting ready for a Christmas party. The planning committee went about their duties, decorating the hall way and making arrangements for the twenty-fifth of December.