Chapter 17

Naturally I sat in the rear seat of Michael’s Lexus. He and Alexis talked throughout the ride, while I simply plugged in my earphones and kept my eyes on the slowly darkening sky. After about seven minutes, we were at the Hathaways.
    “Alright Henry, go pick up your date,” Alexis said.
I said nothing and got out of the car.
When I got to the front door, I took in a deep breath and rang the doorbell. In a few seconds, someone came to open the door. Dr. Hathaway.
    “Good evening sir,” I greeted.
    “Good evening Henry. Come in,” he replied, stepping away from the door. He led me towards the dining room where another person in a suit waited. Wade Bunker, one of my sister’s classmates.
    “Wait here,” said Dr. Hathaway.
     Katie’s date, Wade and I exchanged pleasantries at the table where we waited for our dates. As we both waited, I rehearsed what I would say to Freya in my head, while staring at some paintings hung on the walls of the dining room.
    After a short while, someone walked downstairs in an aqua-marine dress. Katie looked extraordinarily stunning in her full bodice gown slit up to her thighs. Her dress revealed a little cleavage unlike Alexis’. She had her hairstyle changed from the usual crimped her that fell over her shoulders into a Dutch braid.
    After exchanging a few words with Wade, she walked over to where I sat.
    “You look stunning Henry,” she commented with a huge smile.
    “I could say the same about you,” I replied with a warm smile.
    “Thank you. She’ll be down soon. And Alexis?”
    “She’s outside with Michael.”
    ************
      After Katie and Wade left, Freya came downstairs. I had already seen her in that dress so it wasn’t all surprising anymore. Although she did look more beautiful with her pony-tailed hair and circular, silver earrings.
      I got up slowly and walked up to her and her parents.
    “Hey,” she greeted with a huge smile.
    “Hi. You look nice,” I said.
    “You look nicer,” she replied with her eyes opened wide.
    “Alright, you kids have fun. Freya darling, don’t forget your curfew,” said Mrs. Hathaway.
    “Yes mom,” she replied.
    She said her goodbyes to her mom and dad and we headed for Michael’s car. Michael drove at a steady pace to school. Freya couldn’t stop talking to me and I couldn’t help but listen to her. She was quite the chatter box, but I did catch myself smiling at some jokes she made.
    ************
    “You and the student-body really outdid yourselves on this one,” Freya said to Michael.       
    “Thank you Freya.”
With our elbows interlocked, we walked towards the school entrance where we met Clyde and Erica. Erica and Freya’s were exactly the same. Erica toned down her accessories by a lot and straightened her hair. Clearly the work of her mother.
    “Well don’t you two look nice,” said Erica, coming over to hug us both.
    Clyde and I shook hands and stood side by side and watched Erica and Freya comment on how they looked.
    “Is Blake here yet?” I asked.
    “Nahh. He said he might be late. My guess, the whole vandalism thing,” said Clyde.
    “Hey guys,” someone greeted from behind.
Erica and Freya gave loud high-pitched screams on seeing Daphne. What she wore was the exact same style as what they wore, except hers had a different shade of blue.
    “Why do they have to scream? They saw themselves yesterday for God sake,” said Clyde.
    “The female gender isn’t something we’re bound to understand,” I joked.
    After Daphne came Blake, but no Elizabeth.
    “So in the end you couldn’t ask her,” said Clyde.
    “It was just too hard with the corsage,” said Blake with his head down.
“Is that Liz?” Freya asked, pointing in the direction of the parking lot.
She was walking rather fast by her standards.
    “She never walks that fast,” said Daphne.
In seconds, she was in front of the whole gang.
    “Liz, are you alright?” Freya asked
    Ignoring her, she reached for Blake, grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him in for a deep passionate kiss that left everyone petrified. She didn’t stop to talk to any of us. After the kiss, she grabbed him by the wrist and dragged him inside, leaving us stunned by what we had just witnessed.
    ***************
     The basketball court was the definition of a blue-paradise. The disco ball scattered the in the beautifully decorated court, music filled the atmosphere alongside smiles of excitement.
    After taking a few pictures with Freya and the rest of the gang, I went to get some punch.
    “I didn’t think you’d come.”   
I turned my head and replied.
    “I could say the same about you.”
In a dress was simply a strapless version of Freya’s dress, was the simple girl who Freya seemed to hate for reasons unknown to me
    “You look dashing,” she said with a giggle.
    “So do you.”
    She blushed. “Thank you.”
From the day we had our first conversation Misty and I had started talking. Freya had no idea as it was always by social media. Misty didn’t want any of her unnecessary drama.
    “So are you going for the after party?” Misty asked.
The question shocked me a bit. No one told me about an after party, and even if I knew, I definitely wouldn’t attend. But if Freya and the others knew, they would fight tooth and claw to get me to attend.
    “I’ll take that silence as a no.”
    “Hm-hm.”
    Misty and I shared similar interests and beliefs towards certain things. We both weren’t ones for parties and big social gatherings and we enjoyed similar books and music genres.
    “I better go before Freya finds us and starts another episode,” she said with a smile.
    “Right. Have fun.”
    She smiled. “You too.”

    During the course of the dance, Principal Powers addressed us with a small speech.
    “Welcome students of Mystery Falls High School to the forty-fifth Mystery Falls High anniversary celebration!”
Following her opening speech was applause.
    “First of all, a round of applause to the student body for their hard work and dedication. If it weren’t for them, all of this won’t have been a reality.”
    We applauded.
    “Now as you dance and talk and have a good time of course, I implore you, don’t go too crazy. It might not be a school night, but any irresponsible act will earn you appropriate punishments. Without further ado, have fun!”
    ************
    The night was going smoothly. Music played in the background as everyone talked, took pictures and danced. Everyone could feel the tingly happy feeling that came with a high school dance. Even I felt it just a little as I slow danced with Freya.
    “I didn’t know you could slow dance. How many surprises do you have stashed in that body of yours?” she joked.
    I smiled. “You’d be surprised.”
Dancing with Freya felt, different. It wasn’t like anything I had felt in a long time. I couldn’t explain what it was, but I enjoyed her presence. I wanted to stay with her.
    “I’ll be right back,” she said, leaving me to wonder about where she went.
    Just as I was about to find a place to sit and wait, someone stopped me.
    “Henry, the After-Party begins soon. You’re coming right.” a voice asked from behind. Tanji.
    “No.”
    “Oh come on,” he whined. “As captain of the basketball team, you’re like V.I.P.”
    “I won’t be the first V.I.P to bail on such an event. It’s Founder’s Day. Will Powers even be in support of something like an after party?”
    “Don’t worry about that. Powers will be handled with no complications,” someone responded from behind. Dexter from my class.
    “What do you mean by handled?” I asked. Nothing about what was going on felt right.
    “You don’t worry about that. It’s nothing wrong,” Tanji said, sounding reassuring.
    I just couldn’t say anything. Goodness knew what they had planned. Leaving the dance would’ve been something I would do. But doing that would start another drama with Freya and she would get the others to dislike me, like the way they don’t even like Misty.
    “I’m back,” said Freya.
When she came closer, Dexter and Tanji left us.
    “Now where were we?” she asked in a flirty manner, wrapping her arms around my neck. Naturally, my hands moved to her hips and we kicked off from where we stopped.
    “Henry, there’s something I really wanna tell you,” she whispered.
Our dancing came to a halt when those words left her mouth.
    “The thing is--”
    As she began to speak, I noticed something off. Principal Powers was leaving the dance hall with a cup in her hand. But she wasn’t walking normally. She was constantly holding something for support. She was clearly not in her right mind.
    “Freya, could you excuse me real quick?”
I left Freya and hurried after Principal Powers.
    Principal Powers had picked up the pace, but she still staggered in the grey hallway lined with balloons. I jogged up to her and caught up in no time.
    “Principal Powers, are you okay?” I asked, holding her up on my shoulders.
    “Mr. Collins, shouldn’t you be dancing?” she asked with a big laugh.
    ‘She’s high. Is this what they meant by, they’ll handle her?' I asked myself.
    While she fought to let herself free from my hold on her, I looked left and right for somewhere to place her. Then my eyes caught an office. Mr. Roberts.
    With Principal Powers left arm around my neck and all her weight resting on me, I moved towards the Counselors’ office.
    ‘I hope it’s open.’
I grabbed the door knob and twisted it open.
    ‘Thank Yokai,’ I said to myself, pushing the door open.
I carried Principal Powers to the chair behind the desk and took her bag and keys from her. I placed them on the top-most shelf. She would be too high and tired to try to reach for it.
    “Wait here and I’ll get you some water.”
    On my way to the basketball court to get a bottle of water, I accidentally kicked a cup which seemed to contain some sort of wet powder inside of it. It was the only cup there.
    ‘Probably Powers cup I presume. But why was she drinking poorly mixed punch?’ I asked myself.
    I picked up the cup and looked closely at the deep blue colored wet powder inside of the cup. I sniffed it and it didn’t smell like punch.
    “Henry?” a voice called out. Erica.
    “Freya’s looking for you,” she said, walking towards me.
I said nothing.
    “What’s in the cup?” she asked.
    “Nothing,” I said in response, dropping the cup onto the floor.
She rushed to the cup and picked it up.
‘Dumb move Henry.’
She looked at the wet, powdery substance inside the cup and sniffed it. As soon as she sniffed it she threw the cup down immediately, like she was holding something dangerous.
    “I don’t want to believe you’re taking HOD,” she said with a look of disgust on her face.
    “No I don’t. I don’t even know what HOD is,” I replied with a slight frown on my face.
    She stayed quiet and looked around to see if anyone was coming towards us.
“Alright, I’ll take your word for it. But how exactly did you get your hands on HOD?”
    “I just found the cup on the floor,” I replied.
She stayed quiet again.
    “Alright Henry listen. Basically, High or Die, HOD, is illegal in Mystery Falls. Whatever happens, don’t tell single soul about this, or you could be in some serious trouble,” she warned
She hurriedly picked up the cup and tossed it into the nearest waste bin.
    *********
    When I got back to the basketball court, I went straight for Tanji.
    “That was a very crazy stunt? Really low for someone like you!” I scolded.
    “Dude chill. What are you talking about?” Tanji asked.
    “Don’t play dumb. Why the God’s name would you get Power high?!”
    With a confused look on his face, he asked; “What are you talking about?”
Tanji and Clyde were very straight forward. Lying wasn’t something they lived with. It wasn’t something he would do. But I believed that behind every angel is a gruesome demon capable of doing almost anything.
    “Rico was just going to talk to her and get her to leave and we could go to Scarlett’s place for the party.”
    I stayed quiet, trying to grasp what was going on.
    “Powers is high?”
    “Yes. I put her in Mr. Roberts’ office. Hand me that bottle of water.” He handed me the bottle of water and I immediately headed for the counselor’s office. She was already asleep.
I dropped the bottle of water next to her and headed for the door. Just as I was about to open the door, someone did from the other side.
    ‘Just great,’ I sighed.
    “Mr. Collins. Running away from the dance? I totally understand if you’re not the dance type. We have many students like that. And--”
    “Who is sleeping on my desk?” he asked, looking behind me.
    “It’s Principal Powers. She was dizzy, so I brought her here,” I lied.
    “Principal Powers was dizzy? That’s beyond odd. Are you sure she’s okay?” he asked, hurriedly walking towards the desk.
He placed his palm on her forehead to see if she had a high temperature.
    “It’s rising slowly. I’ll take her home to rest.”
He placed one hand behind her back and one hand behind her knees and lifted her up effortlessly.
    “I’ll drive her home. You go enjoy the dance,” said Mr. Roberts.
He carried her out of the office and out of the hallway. My only hopes were she was okay. If she ever found out that someone slipped HOD into her drink, she had the power to give everyone detention.
    Just as I was about to go back into the hall, students flooded the halls like a school of fish.
    ‘The after-party,’ I sighed.
“Henry!” someone called out. It was a voice I had become too familiar with.
    “Come on, we’re all leaving for the after-party,” she said, grabbing my wrist.
    “Freya, you know I’m not one for parties.”
    “Ugh, killjoy much Henry?” Erica whined, walking towards the two of us.
    “I’m not going.”
    “Henry, you coming to the after-party?” Alexis asked from a distance.
    “No,” I immediately replied.
    “Come on Henry,” Freya begged. “It’ll be fun. I hate to think you’re the boring kind.”
    “Is that supposed to push me to say yes?”
    “Ugh, you’re impossible!” she groaned, walking away angrily.
I watched her storm away angrily and suddenly felt bad about it. I only even came to the dance because my mother already got my suit ready before she asked if I was going to the dance or not.
    “Way to let down a girl you like,” said Erica with her arms folded across her chest.
    “I’m not one for parties. It’s something you guys know,” I said.
    “Henry, it’s just a party with a few of us at Scarlett’s house.  There’s no harm,” said Erica.
    “It’s not a matter of the harm. I just don’t enjoy social gatherings.”
    With a smile on her face, she said; “For once, do something for someone else and yourself.”
    A party wasn’t a ‘Henry Colllins’ type of event. But Erica made a rather good point. I would definitely have to compromise a little bit for the sake of my friends.
    “Where’s Scarlett’s house?” I asked with a heavy sigh.
    “Daphne’s driver is outside,” said Erica, skipping towards the door like a little girl with glee.
    ‘I can’t believe I’m going to a party,’ I sighed.
*******************
    Scarlett’s house was huge. The lawn was filled with people sitting on the grass with party’s signature red plastic cups and deafening music played my eardrums like an actual drum set. Many students were present at the party. As everyone had their fun, I sat on the porch with a few others.
    ************
    After a while, Freya and Erica came outside to meet me. They walked with me towards the garden, where Clyde and the others were. We sat on the grass and I listened to them talk and laugh amongst themselves. With time, some of them went into the house to party, leaving me, Freya and Erica.
    “I’ll go get us a drink,” said Freya, leaving me with Erica.
“Cool party isn’t it?” Erica asked, shoving me slightly.
I gave no response. I still wasn’t interested in the party. But I had to put up a front for Freya’s sake.
    “I’m back,” she said, holding three red plastic cups. She handed one to me and Erica and they both drank from the cups.
    “What is this?” I asked, looking at it.
    “I don’t know. But it’s really sweet. Try it,” Freya insisted.
    “Yeah, even if it contains alcohol, it’s only just a little bit. You can’t get drunk,” Erica added in support.
    “No thanks, I’m good.”
As they tried to push the drink on me, a girl staggered towards us. She was drunk.
    “Henry, you better not be drinking whatever’s in that cup,” said Alexis, trying to stand erect.
Michael stood behind her trying to hold her up. Freya and Erica left for the house to get their party on, leaving me with my drunk sister and her boyfriend.
    “Since when do you drink?” I asked, holding her up.
    As I held her, something fell out of Michael’s pocket. A colorful sachet that seemed almost empty. He hurriedly picked it up and put it back into his suit pocket.
    I ignored him and focused on keeping Alexis from falling.
    “I’ll take her to a room upstairs. I already asked Scarlett,” said Michael.
    “No. Drive her home,” I demanded.
    “It’s okay Henry, I’ll make sure she makes curfew,” said Michael, holding her shoulders firmly.
    “I’m not concerned about curfew. Just drive her home!”
    “Henry, I’m fine. Go enjoy the party,” said Alexis.
I had never seen her like that. The Alexis I knew was always so careful not to be involved in things like drinking, but whoever just went past me wasn’t my Alexis. 
    Michael held her and walked her into the house; an idea that I definitely wasn’t in support of. After watching them disappear into the house, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.
I casually took it out to see who was calling.
    ‘Unknown number?’
    “Hello,” I said, walking towards the house gate to get as far away from the noise as possible.
    “Hello Henry, it’s Daniel, Freya’s brother,” he said.
    “Oh? Is something the matter?” I asked.
    “Yes. It’s almost Freya’s curfew and my mom is going to flip if she’s not home in time. I’ve been calling her. Is she with you?”
    Before answering the phone, I swiped down to check the time.
Not only did I realize that Freya and I share the same curfew, but it was only forty-five minutes till ten and Scarlett’s house was quite a distance from ours.
    “I’ll get her home in time.”
Without hesitation, I hurried into the house in search of Freya. I asked everyone I saw if they had seen her. She was impossible to locate. I searched every nook and cranny of the ground floor of the two storeyed-building, but I didn’t find her.
    Just as I was about to climb the staircase, someone held my hand from behind.
    “I heard you were looking for me. Is everything okay?” Freya asked.
    “About thirty minutes till curfew. Daniel called.”
    She gasped.
“Oh crap! I had no idea how much time had passed!”
She grabbed me by the hand and we hurried out of the house and out of the compound. When we got outside, we were really lucky to immediately get a taxi. Merlin Street and Potter Street were on the same route. Only we would reach Potter Street first.
    In the car, we both sat close to each window, quietly watching the beautiful night sky. Being alone with Freya made my heart race. My head was filled with thoughts about us dancing together.
    “Freya,”
    She turned her face to look at me.
    “You wanted to tell me something at the dance. What was it?” I asked.
Immediately, she turned her face away sharply, leaving me to wonder what emotion welled up inside her. For a while, I stared at her and she said nothing.
    “I’m sorry I left when you wanted to say something,” I said, staring out the window.
    And then, I began to say things.
    “Everyone I share bonds with say it,” I began, still looking at the stars through the window of the moving car.
    “My mom, my sisters, Erica, Blake, Daphne, Clyde and Elizabeth. The say I like you.”
I paused.
    “Maybe I do. It’s all really confusing. When they mention you, I get all red. I know what that means, but I don’t know why I fight it. I like you Freya. I just don’t know why I fight it”.
    Just as I was about to say another word, she tapped my shoulder with a finger. I turned my face towards her, only to feel her warm, cherry-flavored lips gently crash against mine.
    It left my eyes widened and shortened my breath.
    ‘So this is a kiss.’
    Pulling away, she said;
    “I like you Henry. I also don’t know why I fight it.”
I couldn’t stop myself from dissolving in her beautiful brown eyes and I could tell she dissolved in my dark ones
    “Was that your first kiss ever?” she asked in a whisper.
    Her kiss left me speechless, so I could only nod in response.
    “Wanna try it again? But consciously this time?”
I nodded in response.
    I leaned in slowly and she did the same. In seconds, her cherry-flavored lips met mine in a soft, warm kiss.
    “Number 6, Potter Street,” said the cab driver, breaking us apart.
    “That’s my stop,” she said in a whisper.
She stepped out of the cab slowly, stared at me for about five seconds, and then closed the door.
    Just as the cab driver was about to move, I stopped him. I needed to be clear on something before getting home.
    “Freya,” I called out, stepping out of the car.
    “Does this mean we’re together?” I asked.
    She paused and smiled. “Do you want us to be together?”
    ‘Yes,’ I said to myself. I didn’t say anything but smile back.
    “Then yes, we’re together,” she said, giving me a broad smile.
I felt my heart rate increase like crazy. It felt unreal. My first kiss led to my first relationship. The night was moving faster than I could keep up with.
    “I’ll text you tomorrow.”
    “Cool.”
****************
    I went home a happy teen. I had a girlfriend and nothing made me happier that night. The night seemed like it was going to end with me coming back home to the comfort of my bed and novels, but Freya happened and that possibility was canceled out.
    When I got home, my parents and Heather were in the living room.
    “Welcome home Henry,” dad welcomed.
    “How did the dance go? Hopefully dad won’t have a reason to scold you,” Heather said, rolling her eyes.
    “Scold?” I asked, shifting my gaze to Mr. Gudjohnsen.
    “Your sister kissed someone. In my presence!” he yelled.
    “On the cheek!” Heather said defensively.
Mom did nothing but laugh at his reaction.
    “Dad, you’re over reacting,” I said, walking towards the staircase.
    “Honey, that’s enough. It’s not that much of a bad thing,” said mom, holding Heather’s shoulders.
    “Fine,” dad said, sounding defeated.
    “Hold up Henry. How did the dance go? I want to hear everything,” said mom, who hurriedly heading for the couch with Heather. Neither of them would let me rest if I didn’t tell them.
    “Alright, I’ll summarize it four words,” I sighed.
    “Why four words?” Dad asked.
    “You want to hear how it went or not?” mom asked him.
I watched their gossip-hungry eye stare at me, waiting for me to drop the four words they were so desperate to hear.
    “I have a girlfriend.”