I just really wanted to

A door opens with a soft hiss, yet, the two occupants of the room remain oblivious to that fact.

The only sound that fills the air is their harsh breathing as they try to reign in their beating hearts. Regain some semblance of composure.

Heatstroke hangs his head down, his gaze is trained firmly on the ground as if secretly wishing for it to swallow him whole. His fists clench at his sides, knuckles white with the pressure. The sight stirs something within Izuku. It makes his body move before he can register any conscious effort to do so. To go through with the motions. He finds himself stepping closer to the man until he's standing over him. Stray green locks fall over his eyes as he looks down.

The sidekick startles as he approaches, gaze swiveling to look up at him, the movement is abrupt and surely painful. However, the man doesn't meet his gaze, instead, they stop part way, looking at the teen's outstretched hand with wide, confused eyes. When the spike-user finally lifts his eyes, red meeting emerald green, Izuku tries to convey his intent to the best of his abilities. As if waving a white flag or uttering a promise of truce.

A minute passes and Izuku starts to think maybe he should withdraw his hand. However, just as he readies himself for the failure, the man moves. A warm palm slides against his own until they're gripping each other by their forearms. The hold brings him back to a time when missions and quests were hard, deadly, and far in-between. Where stepping into a boss room with someone meant trusting them implicitly. It reminds him of camaraderie and understanding.

Despite his best efforts to quell the emotions that rise to the surface of his mind, he smiles. Grin small, but present as he takes a step back and rises with the man before him. Steady and calm, now that the duel was over.

"Are you two done here?" Comes the gruff, almost bored voice of the number two hero. Startling them and breaking the atmosphere almost instantly.

They turn to find both the hero and Todoroki standing there, a couple of feet behind them.

The latter scoffs indignantly at his father and marches towards Izuku. "Midoriya, are you alright?" His voice takes him by surprise as it holds both tension and worry. Two things he wouldn't have expected from the usually stoic boy.

"Yeah." Sharing one last understanding look with the sidekick. "Everything fine, he was just testing me, no harm done."

The teen narrows his eyes at the explanation, having obviously watched the entire fight go down, yet he elects to stay quiet. Nodding seriously in consideration.

Izuku takes the time to look back at Endeavor then, gaze pensive as he wonders just what the man had to gain from setting this entire thing up. Was it just to test him, get back at him for the sports festival? Or did the man somehow want to help his sidekick? Were there good intentions buried beneath all that scorching hate?

Making sure to meet the hero's eyes steadily, he plasters a smile onto his face. Mirth not reaching his eyes as he addressed the fire user. "I hope the entertainment was up to your standards, Endeavor-san."

The sneer he gets in response is answer enough. "Clean up and turn in for the night, Shoto. Your rooms are on the fifth floor. We'll meet again at dawn for training and then patrol in the evening." The man marches out without another glance.

"Well... That went well." Izuku says to no one at all. Looking at the room with something akin to resignation as he readies himself to clean up the mess. They really did a number on the walls. He notes with some self-indulgent satisfaction.

When he moves to start, a hand catches his shoulder. Stopping him in his tracks.

"Was..." Heatstroke's voice is low, and hesitant as he speaks. Gaze once again averted, despite the steadiness of his hold on Izuku. "Was it all bad? In there?" He asks with something akin to diluted desperation.