Chapter 4 "Visiting the cemetery"

The six months came in a blink of an eye.

One day Isabella decided to tell Jeremy, "Today after school, I'm going to the cemetery to visit my parent's grave."

He just looked at her and asked, "Would you mind if I went with you too?"

At first, she looked at him with a confused face then smiled and said, "I would be honored if you came with me to see my parent's grave."

He looked at her with a smile and said, "Ok then. Also, I hope you don't mind, but why did you look at me with such a confused face?"

She just looked down sad and told him, "Well, I never thought of somebody coming with me to see my parents. I guess I was just shocked that you wanted to come."

They looked at each other and smiled.

Before they went to see her parent's graves, Isabella had packed a picnic for them. They had sat on a hill that they could see the whole town from and had their picnic.

"Wow," Isabella said, staring at the sunset, "isn't that the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?"

He looked at her and said, "Yes, it is."

She laid her head down on his shoulder and he put his arm around her waist. When it came for sunset to come, they both looked each other directly in the eyes. Jeremy leaned in, and then Isabella did. Then before they knew it, they kissed right when it turned dark.

They looked at each other then Jeremy started to say, "I am so sorry about that. I didn't mean it."

She just looked down blushing and said, "It's ok. I wanted you to do that."

Then he blushed and they kissed again.

She got up and told him, "Now how about we make our way to the cemetery."

He offered her a nod.

They picked up the picnic stuff and headed for the cemetery.

They walked to the cemetery hand in hand. Isabella had a big smile on her face.

Right when Jeremy opened the gate for Isabella, like a gentleman, her smile disappeared almost instantly.

They walked in. She led the way to her parent's grave without looking at the other tombstones.

Jeremy on the other hand looked at all of the tombstones sad.

He had almost stepped on her because she stopped out of nowhere. He looked to see why she had stopped. She stared straight ahead. He followed her eyes. He saw a tombstone with two hearts that connected them in the middle. In each of the hearts, it inscribed their names, their birthdates, and the date of their demise. In the middle where the hearts connected inscribed the date they got married with the picture of them on their day with two wedding rings made on it. The bottom of the stone on a slab inscribed 'Gone but never forgotten.'

(I made this along time ago and I just realized the words are wrong but I can't fix it 😅)

Isabella could feel the treat of hot tears welling up in her eyes as she knelt before the stone, stretching her hand out to touch it. When she couldn't fight them anymore, she let them out.

Jeremey knelt right next to her and grabbed her so she could hug him. He let her cry on him.

She looked back at the stone and told him crying, "You know people keep telling me that it is going to get easier missing them."

He looked at her crying.

She told him sniffling, "But they're all wrong. It never gets easier missing them. It feels like it gets harder every time. Sometimes I wonder if it will ever get easier."

She let go of him and turned around.

Jeremy looked down at the ground and looked at the stone, and said, "I would like to have met you. To see who your daughter, Isabella, looked and acted like."

Right when he said her name, she looked at him with tears still in her eyes. 

He looked up and stared at their names and said, "But since I can't, I am glad that I met your daughter Isabella."

He smiled and continued to say, "She is amazing and beautiful. You would be so proud of her." He paused to look up at her and said with a smile, "I know I am."

He got up and hugged her tight. She hugged him tight back and she cried on his shoulder.

When they came back from the cemetery Jeremy said, "Wow! I don't mean for this to sound bad, but I had a great time tonight."

She looked at him with a confused face and asked, "Why would that sound bad?"

He told her, "Because I had fun and it was for your parents."

She just laughed and said, "Don't worry I had fun too and I am sure that's the way my parents would have wanted it to be. You know instead of sad."

He smiled at her. Walked up to her and kissed her on the lips and says, "Goodnight."

She smiled and said, "Goodnight to you too."

They slept peacefully the whole night.

846 words