CHAPTER 1

"It's almost cheating, with the way you heal yourself, Jane

"It's almost cheating, with the way you heal yourself, Jane. How does that make it a fair fight?" Kathleen says, speaking about the man I assaulted about an hour prior.

"I think it's a perfect arrangement," I contest, placing my right hand over my left knuckles, concentrating on the well of power within my chest. A faint blue light emits from my right palm until the pain subsides in my left. I pull my hand away, flexing my freshly healed knuckles that crack back into place.

That man's jaw really left my skin raw and red. I could heal it further to remove any discoloration, but I have to admit that that would be cheating.

"You're an odd bird, Jane," Kathleen says with a deep sigh. "But I still love ya."

I glance at my companion, whose a few inches taller than me, with breasts so large someone can eat dinner and dessert off of them—which is actually a favorite trick of hers when we visit drinking establishments.

"I can't help it. I've got some issues that I need to work out, and add that with a fighter complex, and you get me," I admit.

I'm not ashamed to say I carry burdens I'd rather light a match to. What's the point in letting my shadow haunt me when I can stare it down and rough it up a bit?

Surely, one day, it'll all come together and I'll be a better person. Punch someone so hard that all the pain leaves me.

Then again, I know in my bones that I'm trying to fight against a current that's never going to weaken. I was born with blood that runs hot, and I don't know what to do with it anymore.

So, I just punch people to get it out of my system.

But, in my defense, I always make sure they deserve it first.

"I'd never, in a century, guess that you're such a spitfire, but you have some moves, little one," Kathleen adds. "I think they never see it coming because they're too busy eyeing you. Which is an idea, right? You could try flirting with a man, rather than beat him senseless. Might make you feel better in a whole different way," Kathleen suggests, pulling up the bottom of her white skirt when we walk through a muddy spot in the dirt road that leads to home.