ᴀ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ɪɴ ʜᴇʟʟ

"It has many names

"It has many names. Avernus, Tartarus, Hades," Morpheus informed as the sand cleared "the infernal region you call Hell."

"So, Hell does exist?" Matthew questioned as the three looked down the hill, watching the line of fire march towards the entrance.

"It does. For some."

"Does that mean it doesn't exist if you don't believe in it?"

"Did you believe in it?" Morpheus questioned, looking down at the raven, Darcy tore her eyes from the line, glancing down, curious for the answer "When you were a man?"

"Yeah." Matthew sighed, shivering "I just didn't expect Hell to be cold."

"Which way do we go?" Darcy questioned, throwing a glance at the raven haired man.

He turned his head to look at her "I suggest we follow the damned." They shared a long look before turning back to look over the landscape.

"They make you bring your own fire to Hell?" Matthew questioned bewildered, but once again he was left unanswered. Morpheus moved forward

_________

"We're not sneaking in with them?" Matthew questioned, as the three stood watching the damned pass though the gates.

"A king may not enter another monarch's realm uninvited." Morpheus explained "There are rules, protocols that must be followed." They walked forward, halting at the gates, he moved past Darcy taking the mallet. The original looked at him questionably, as he lower his head "Stay by my side." He whispered lowly.

"No promises, mate." She admited, running her eyes over his face, not one bit intimidated by him. He held her gaze for a second before hiting the gong. He threw it to the side as a figure began to approach the gate, mumbling. The three inched forward.

"Greetings, Squatterbloat. I seek an audience with your sovereign."

Squatterbloat chuckled "And who might you be?"

"I am the King of Dreams." He smirked slightly "Ruler of the Nightmare realms."

"Mm. Yes, my clown. So, where's your crown?"

The original arched her brows as the king scoffed, left corner of his mouth lifted in a smirk "Guard your tongue, demon. The ruler of Hell will not be kind to one who insults an honoured guest." He raised his brows "And I am a guest in this realm as I am monarch of my own."

"So where's your ruby?"

"Shall I use it to haunt your dreams?" He threatened calmly, stepping forward "And your waking hours, too? Or will you open the gates of Hell and let us through?" The demon unlocked the gates, stepping back as they opened "Now take us to the palace."
"There's one at the door." The demon repeated, turning and walking on. The trio followed.