Chapter 3: Powerless

You would think getting to the airport at 5:30 in the morning meant not a lot of people, but boy was I wrong. It took way longer than we thought to get everybody out of the door this morning and crammed into 3 cars. But we were finally here, sitting at our gate, waiting to board. 

Me and Awsten had pretty much spent the entire morning together. It was somehow decided that me, Awsten, and Lucas were sitting in a row together, and the others could figure out their seats. 

I sat next to Awsten in the row of seats outside of the doors to board, absently mindedly scrolling through social media.  I felt him lean over closer to me to whisper in my ear, and it took me by surprise, giving my goosebumps. 

"Do you think if I ask nicely, Lucas will let me have the window seat?"

I turned my head to look at him and he had a questioning look on his face, waiting for me to answer. It took me a second before I realized he was being 100% serious.

"There is no way in hell I am getting stuck in the middle of you two for 6 hours. If anyone is getting the window seat, it's me." 

"Fineeee, whatever." He dramatically said and rolled his eyes and slumped back into his seat. I chuckled and turned my attention towards the counter, where the lady was starting to announce boarding. We all stood up and started gathering our things and making our way to the doors. 

Once we had all gotten situated in our seats, Lucas having the aisle seat, Awsten in the middle, and me by the window, I immediately shut the cover and started trying to get comfy. 

Awsten turned to look over at me, and I could feel him watching me as I wiggled around. 

"I hope you don't expect to actually sleep? Who am I supposed to talk to and bother the whole time?" 

I looked over at his childish grin and rolled my eyes. "That's what Lucas is for." I leaned forward to look at Lucas, who had already managed to fall asleep. "Great.

Awsten just smiled and scooted a bit closer to me in his seat, put the arm rest up and said, "Here, use my shoulder." 

I stared at him for a few seconds before attempting to mutter a thanks, and awkwardly leaned my head up against his shoulder. We both moved a bit to get comfortable, but when I finally found a position, resting my head on him must have instantly put me to sleep. 

I woke up an hour later to Awsten asking me if I wanted anything to drink. My head fallen into his chest a bit, so I sat up, squeezing my eyes shut to wake up. When I opened them, the flight attendant was asking us if we would like something to drink, repeating Awsten's question.

Instantly feeling the plane shift, I grabbed onto my arm rest and replied, "Anything acholic please." 

I grabbed my I.D. out of my bag and handed it to her as she handed me a small bottle of FireBall. "I'm going to need another one. And it's on him." I pointed to Lucas who had his headphones in getting his card out. 

Awsten watched me the whole-time chuckling. I looked over at him after the lady made her way down the other rows, only to find him with an amused smile. "Are you okay?"

I slightly shook my head, "I don't like plane rides very much." That was all I could manage to get out before we hit another pocket of turbulence. I opened up both tiny bottles and downed them in one go. I cringed at the horrible taste but managed to not throw up. I looked over at Awsten and groaned. "I don't know what's going to make me sicker, the plane or the taste of this," as I held up the empty bottles.

Awsten smiled and said, "That's why I don't drink. Also, why I take Dramamine." 

I gave him a puzzled look at his first comment. "You're in a rock band and you don't drink?"