Chapter 4: Zone Out

The drive from the airport to the hotel was nothing short of awe inspiring. I've always dreamed of coming to New York but had never gotten the chance. 

I was leaning up against the window, trying to take everything in. Awsten was sitting next to me and leaned over closer, so his chest was pressing against my shoulder. "It's awesome, isn't it?" All I could do was nod my head.

When we finally arrived at the hotel and got all checked in, we all huddled around to discuss the plans.

"Okay," Lucas started out. "We all have two full days, and three nights, so make the most of it. The first show is Friday night, but we'll discuss more details over dinner tonight. Let's all plan to meet back here at 7pm, sound good?"

We all nodded and started dispersing to head to our rooms, but before we got too far, he called back to let us know to dress nice for the restaurant we were going to tonight.

Awsten and Jawn, the photographer, were sharing a room, but I had lucked out as the only girl and gotten my own king suite all to myself. Everyone was in the same block of rooms, all in a row next to each other. Awsten was only a few doors down, which made me feel better. I never slept good in hotels, and always did better in busses, except for the fact that you had to share one tiny bathroom with multiple other people. Thankfully it was just me, Lucas, Awsten, Otto and Geoff on ours. 

Once I got into my room and set my things down, I decided I was in desperate, desperate need of a long shower. It really wouldn't take me that long to get ready, but once I was out of the shower, I didn't have anything else to do. Lucas said dress nice, and there were going to be very few occasions where I could actually wear the one nice dress I brought with me. 

Caroline had bought it for me the summer after we graduated college, to celebrate us surviving the 4 long years. It was deep red and hugged my body in all of the right places along with having a deep scoop neckline. It was something I never wore because of him. He would never let me. So, I made sure to pack it this time. 

After doing my makeup and hair, putting up my blonde hair into space buns, I slipped into the dress. It had been a few years since I had last worn it, and it was noticeable. I didn't remember it being this snug, or short for that matter. I didn't really have a choice but to wear it though. There was nothing else in my bags that would be nice enough for an upscale restaurant like we were going to.

Before I walked back into the room, I glanced down at my notebook sitting on the bathroom counter. It seemed like it was taunting me, yelling at me to write. But I couldn't. I didn't know what to write or sing. There were too many emotions I'm afraid of letting out. 

Giving myself one last look in the mirror and cringing at how exposing the dress was, I made the quick decision to grab my grey cropped sweater and throw it on over my dress, so my chest was covered. Checking the time made me pick up the pace, realizing I took way longer to get ready than I had planned. Double checking our reservation for tonight, I made my way out of my room to find Geoff walking out of his and Otto's room. 

When I turned around after checking my door was locked, Geoff's mouth was hanging open, and he was blatantly staring at me, or more importantly my dress. "Geoff." His name snapped him out of his trance, and he instantly turned as red as my dress.

"Oh-Um, I-I-, sorry." He quickly looked down and rubbed the back of his neck and awkwardly stood there. All I could do was let out a chuckle and shake my head. I knew I had a nice figure, and it never bothered me when guys noticed, because I would never let it get farther than that.

"Come on, you doofus, let's go meet everyone else downstairs." I playfully rolled my eyes and started walking down the hall towards the elevator. I could hear footsteps behind me which let me know Geoff had gathered enough composure to follow me.