13 | Getting It In

"You look so stressed it's stressing me out," Levi complains from my bed

I may not live at home anymore, but most of my closet does. As annoying as it is, it's a good excuse to visit between Sundays. Even when he's being a brat.

"Sorry for the inconvenience," I joke.

I am stressed. So many parties with so many vague dress codes. It's faux pas to wear the same dress twice in a season, so I rented four to complement what I already have. Now, I can't decide which to wear. I hate summer.

Everyone thinks Jeremy is my style guru because he's gay, but he's a bear who can barely dress himself. My secret weapon is straight as an arrow and lounging against my headboard in an Off-White hoodie.

"I can't explain how frustrating this wedding has been. Mary's brother lives in Spain, so every event that happens here falls to me."

"But why though?" Levi always asks the real questions.

"You know how Ryan is. He doesn't realize how hard anything is outside of school because he's always paid someone to do it."

"So, is he paying you?"

"Yes. With his undying gratitude."

Levi laughs. "Ryan would fall apart if you weren't by his side all the time."

"Believe me, I know." Going back to the closet, I pull the dress from the rack and grab the shoes. Holding them in the doorway for Levi to see, I ask, "This isn't too much, is it?"

"Too much for what? Your shift on the corner?"

I scowl. "What is that supposed to mean?"

He sets his phone beside his hip and leans forward, pressing his fingertips together like a CEO reprimanding an intern. "The dress is see-through, Teagan. You're going to a wedding."

I fight my smile. "It's a reception and only the exterior layer is translucent. It's solid underneath."

"It's giving Shein," he quips.

Begrudgingly, I let out a laugh. "Fine. What about the Marchesa? Is it too formal for black tie optional?" What even is black tie optional?

He rests his cheek on a fist. "You don't want me to answer that."

I have four other vetoed outfits laid out beside him. He's not being helpful at all. "You're supposedly the voguish one in the family. Why can't you help me choose?"

He smiles at my flattery. "I'm definitely the voguish one in the family, but that's not saying much when this is what you're working with." He gestures to all the options.

I groan. "Help me!"

"Fine! Do the fluffy dress with the fluffy Jimmys, then save the Lhuillier for the next black tie."