{La Signora}

~The Fair Lady~

T/w: spoilers for signoras backstory, grief, btw this can also be read as platonic but I've intended it to lean a little more romantically, one sided affection, angst feeds my soul and mentions of death aswell as descriptions of conflict and blood but nothing too graphic

-

You knew Rosalyne far before she became known as the crimson witch of flames or the 8th Fatui Harbinger, you grew up with her in Mondstadt under the gentle and nurturing breeze brought to you by the freedom sworn anemo archon.

You two were inseparable everyone said, as close as the wind is to wine your parents used to say. In all honesty you missed those carefree days, many years before the great calamity and many years before she met her late husband, Rostam, you never liked him.

Over time you both grew up, rid of those childish fantasies of fairies and miracles and into the reality that no matter how free you believe yourself to be, there will always be something that binds you.

The two of you grew apart, you worked in the cathedral and Rosalyne settled down with a Knight. Everyday was the same, wake up and eat breakfast with the sisters, hourly morning prayer, tend the altar, clean the grounds, deliver any herbs that are needed, more prayer and then dinner. If you were lucky you'd come across your old friend whilst you were on official business, you never had long though but those moments were the highlight of your week.

You grew used to the monotonous routine eventually realising that you were never born to achieve anything great and just as you were born with a fresh breeze gracing your soul, your mind body and spirit will reside on the church grounds once you're buried, spirit to be taken into the winds of time to hopefully be born anew, you knew this already but yet...

When Rosalyne told you she would be departing to Sumeru to study you wanted to join her immediately, what was your life in Mondstadt without her? You barley socialised with any other members of the church, all those who joined were incredibly zealous in their worship to the god of freedom, preferring to not idly chat.

The only reason you could stand the torture of your incessant daily life is because of the slim chance you could see her, 'well why not just leave the church?' You couldn't do that, these were the people who raised you when your parents were off busy with other things, the people who tucked you in at night and whisked the monsters away from under the bes and read you stories. You had to repay them somehow, you weren't selfish, even if you willed yourself to be a little bit more self serving, then maybe you would've had the guts to go with her.

After she left,  everything in your world seemed to darken. You've only spoken to Rostam a few times, a curt nod of recognition is all but even then you couldn't stand the sight of him. Its probably because he took your 'lifelong' companion away from you, you felt no sadness in your heart when he eventually died. Something you'd never admit to though.

Rosalyne came to visit on the odd holiday but she spent all her time with that man. Even if you understood why you couldn't bare it, you wouldn't mind if she even just visited to wave at you, that would be enough.

But she never did.

Until one day a great calamity was set into motion, no mortal could fully comprehend why, we just followed our nation's archons, closed our eyes and hoped for the best. You couldn't help but worry for your dear friend, trapped in Sumeru probably worried sick for her dear husband;

Only if she saw him now, black hair matted from blood and sweat, eyes unfocused and delirious, his comrades who barley survived coughing up their organs in the medical cots surrounding him. You're sure she would break down.

The church matriarch put him under your care, other sisters tending to the wounds of soilders then civilians who were caught in the crossfire. All you could do was stand idly, you didn't move a muscle. You just....stared at him..his chest barley receiving air, you'd help him, but if only he wasn't muttering her  name, with more passion than you've ever seen in a nearly dead man, admittedly you haven't seen many dead men. Shocking.

It took about 20 minutes for him to fully surrender to his fate, ever the soilder you mused to yourself as you covered his still body with a cloth and a sign marked 'deceased' all you could think of is how Rosa would react to the news, but if you knew how she would react then you would've tried harder to save him.

But after she was approached by the jester, offering her longer life and a cryo delusion to quell the flames of her abiding anguish she approached you, as you were as she said 'the only thing left for her in this accursed world.' Of course you agreed, I mean you basically killed her husband, might aswell comfort her?

Along with her you gained a longer lifespan, fleeing the city of freedom that had held you captive and prisoner all your life to a god who demanded loyalty. When you think back to your time in Mondstadt, your binds and vows of freedom and peace that you were forced to uphold during your time there, two questions always kept coming back to you,

"What does freedom really mean when demanded of you by a god?"

And

"Why follow someone who has nothing left to  follow?"

For love?

-

Hey hey hey how are u guys?? Its been a while ik but here is the signora chapter hopefully its good got all this done in like 20 mins and it is the middle of the night but hey. Its also not edited so if nothing makes sense pls tell me

Kinds felt like this is all over the place and if it is so sorry abt that but...Will I bothered to change it? No. Anyway cya Christmas lol (jk...maybe)and have a decent Halloween 👍

Also also, 10k reads what the actual fuck, where the hell did u guys come from fr im absolutely baffled??

Tschüss ✨
-Lunae
{1054 words}