Chapter Six Athyyah

The five co-workers lay asleep in the dark room. Other than a soft snoring, the room was entirely silent, until a soft thumping could be heard echoing through the place, something was approaching. It was barely hearable at first, not loud enough to wake anybody up, but soon after it grew louder Valerie stirred in her sleep as the sound disturbed her. When she woke her head was fuzzy. It didn't seem like they slept that long, but then she noticed the thumping, like footsteps of someone approaching. That woke the rest of her brain in a hurry.

"Hey guys, wake up. I think someone's coming," she said shaking the nearest person she could find. She forgot who that was.

"What?" asked Alex rather grumpily and loudly, accomplishing to wakeup the others in the process, who all moaned at the disturbance.

"I said there's someone coming," Valerie repeated.

"Oh good grief, I'm tired," moaned Kris. "We couldn't have slept that long, I hate it when I wake up before I'm done."

Just then through the entrance they saw a glow of some kind, it didn't quite look like the blue light LED flashlight gave, but more of a dull orange, that of somebody carrying a burning stick, something you see in movies based in the 1800s, that oil lamp colour.

Kris got up in a hurry, coming to his senses almost instantly and was prepared for whatever came their way. The other four were surprised at Kris's sudden movement; they weren't the type who faced whatever dangers came their way with such authority. Not that any of them could really recall a time when they had to.

Finally the rest of the group got to their feet, joining Kris and prepared for whatever was coming. Which really was just them grouping together. There was dead silence, just the sound of the footstep and Alex muttering "Please not Russians." It sounded like whatever was coming had more than a single pair of legs. It sounds like there is an army coming... thought Arnold. Then they saw the flickering light of about a dozen candles coming to them. The flames stopped for a second, a very faint gasp was heard as whatever it was saw them. A few moments later, the group saw what was holding the light. Through the door a dozen figures came in surrounding the group, quite quickly given how much illumination there was. In the dim light they could tell that they were all tall, close to about six feet in height. They were dressed in garments that looked like oversized bikinis and armed with primitive weapons, they were mostly these wooden batons all slightly different in size but each one was differently adorned, except the one that seem to be carrying a sword. It looked very intimidating, not someone you wanted to get into a fight with.

All five unconsciously huddled together, touching shoulders, with Valerie holding to Alex's shirt, Arnold holding on to Kris for dear life while, Kaitlyn, was in the middle of the pack. Being the shortest, she was unable to properly see what was going on. Considering the lighting though, it wasn't that much different than from the others. They could not see who they were exactly, but even in the dim flickering light they could tell by their long hair and bodily figure that they were all woman.

"This can't be good," said Kaitlyn, in a low whisper that only Kris heard.

"We mean you no harm," said Arnold raising his hands up, letting go of Kris's shirt, leaving a crumpled knot behind.

"Who are you?" Kris commanded in an authoritative voice that revealed a little too much of his uneasiness, the words echoing in the chamber for what seemed an excessive amount of time.

The figure with the sword ignored Kris's question and answered instead. "You will come with us. You are trespassing on the sacred ruins of the first ones," she said in English, though with a thick accent that he could not place, as one of the other figures pointed a spear directly at Arnold's face.