Chapter Fifteen Old experiments

It had been a couple days since the "wedding" and Kris was helping Alex out. He was hard at work trying to get the controls up and running. After the circuitry started to spark he leaned back.

"Okay, at least we know power is getting through to here. We just need to find out what's preventing it from activating the controls," Alex said as he wiped the sweat from his brow.

"If only we knew what our people did to turn the other place on back home," replied Kris.

"It's a miracle that the circuitry even survived all this time," commented Alex looking at the wiring that was greatly eaten away, but still intact. He was sure it was just gold or copper, but it must have been treated with something

"Well I need a break," said Kris standing up. "I think I'm going to go outside for a few minutes. By the way, where did Valerie go? She doesn't seem to be in the transporter room anymore." He asked looking through the window.

"No idea. I think she wanted to explore more of the facility," Alex answered without looking up from the panel. "Probably wants to find something amazing too."

Kris chuckled as he stretched his back and walked off, passing Arnold on his way out. He would admit that the suits Alex found were most fascinating. It would be hard to find anything that would compare to them.

Meanwhile in another part of the facility, Valerie was exploring. She was currently in a large room filled with tables and computer like objects. At the end of the room however, was a door leading to yet another space. It was a thicker door and even after all the years Valerie could tell that it looked as though it had been ripped open. Claw marks were gashed into it's dented metal surface. Carefully, she stepped into the chamber beyond. Inside, there was a computer console in the middle of the room with some small tables to each side of it. On the floor odd-looking equipment was scattered around. Many of them made Valerie think of tools you'd use during a surgery.

The building had sure survived the tests of time. Everything inside it was nearly perfectly preserved under the layers of dust. She guessed that must come from making the outer wall and much of the interior of stone.

The most interesting feature of this smaller room, where these glass tubes lining the wall. Valerie guessed they were some sorts of stasis chambers, like in the movies. All of them we broken, their glass scattered over the floor, crunch beneath her heels. The tubes were large enough to easily hold a couple people in them. Wires hung loosely inside them.

She moved closer to one of the tubes. She felt and heard, a crunch under her right foot. It was different from that of the glass, specifically in the fact that it was noticeably bigger, as though she had stepped on a pile of brittle wood. She stepped back and knelt down. At first glance, it just looked like a stick. Brushing away the accumulated dust that covered it, she gasped. It was an arm. The remains of an arm and following it, she realized there was an entire skeleton. It had to arms and two legs, at a quick glance you would think it was just human remains, however, other than the basic form, it was quite obvious that it belonged to something much different, the skull was thinner and taller, the ribs were shaped differently and there seemed to be only four toes per foot. It was also real old. The bones were crumbling and brown from age. But what interested her more was that after she brushed more dust away she discovered that the floor around the particular tube was highly scratched. Made by something big with claws. There seemed even to be similar marks gouged into several of the skeletons bones. There were also many such marks on the walls and even a few on the ceiling. The thought of what likely transpired here those many years ago sent a shiver through her spine. The place looked as though it were completely torn apart.