Chapter Sixteen Missing

The team finished up their meal and put the basket aside.

"Well, we best get back to work. We need to get this place running before we don't want to leave," said Alex with a quick laugh.

"By the way Valerie, in the room where you found the stasis chambers. Were there any tools there? If we could find some, especially ones that are compatible with this stuff, it would really speed things up," Kris asked as he stood up. "Swiss army knives can only do so much."

"And work so fast," added Alex.

"There were lots of things scattered amongst the dust. Some did look like tools. Would one of you like to come with me to retrieve them?" Valerie asked in reply.

"I'll go," offered Kaitlyn. "Everyone else has had their chance to see this place. might as well get in on the action."

"Thanks," replied Valerie sounding almost disappointed.

Paying it no attention Kaitlyn and her left to go see what they could find.

"Try and find a wrench," Alex shouted after them.

Kaitlyn responded with a saluted.

"I feel like this place might be more of an area 51," said Valerie once they were moving down the hall. "Rather than some kind of test facility. I mean there's the transporter room, the lab I found and of course the suits Alex found. I feel it's starting to point in that direction."

"Seems more like a military base," replied Kaitlyn. "There's high security to get in, but it's the suits that really makes me think that. Though the vorlixx help. Think about it. The military was trying to make a better soldier, or weapon."

"By any chance did Alex say what might have damaged so many of the suits?" asked Valerie.

"Not really, but they are real old. It's amazing anything still works," answered Kaitlyn. "I assume it was just age. I'm not even sure if he even gave it any thought."

"Well whoever built this place, they sure built it to last."

"Ah, here we are. It's just through here," Valerie announced when they reached the lab. She led Kaitlyn through the room and into the stasis chamber filled lab.

"Just pick up whatever you might think could be useful. There's quite a bit of stuff on the floor, so there's bound to be something Alex can use," Valerie told her.

Kaitlyn looked around the dusty room. It was like something out of a movie. It gave her chills.

"You know. This is the first room we've found so far that even has utensils or tools lying around. For some reason this place is empty," Kaitlyn said as she started picking tools up and looking them over. When she was satisfied that it could be of use she tucked it under her arm. As she collected more she started putting them into a pile as Valerie joined her.

The two of them for a long time sorted through the stuff scattered over the floor. Every time they thought they collected everything, they'd discover another tool or two hidden in the corner or under the desks. Most of the things looked useless and were tossed in a pile in the corner of the room. Anything that looked useful or remotely like something you could actually use was kept between them. After an hour they had covered the whole room and were ready to return to the others. It had taken them longer than they had thought, but were satisfied with the results of their labour.

"Well, we might be in luck. Let's get this stuff over to the control room for Alex," Valerie said as she filled her arms. "He may actually be able to use some of this junk. What with that resourceful knack of his."