174 | In Need Of Help

MAX SLOWLY OPENS HIS eyes after hearing someone knocking rigorously on his door. He didn't want to move out of the bed, so he kept his face buried in his pillow, ignoring the knock that grew louder and louder.

     After a few more knocks, the door finally opened, and a figure enters his bedroom, opening all the curtains so that the light could shine through. Max didn't even have to look to see who it was because only one person in this entire mansion could bravely enter his room without his permission.

     "Master Leigh, your breakfast is ready," Étienne, Max's most trusted butler, says as he approaches Max who was still cuddled up in bed.

     Max doesn't move nor answer him, so Étienne purposely removes the blanket from his master, finally making Max open his eyes. Max slowly sat up from the bed and massaged his eyes. And without any warning, he grabs his pillow and throws it toward his butler in annoyance.

     Étienne, who had the perfect reaction time, catches the pillow and gently places it back on the bed. "Good morning master Leigh," Étienne greets, and Max glares at him and lazily stands from his bed so he could walk towards the bathroom.

     "Étienne, for heaven's sake it's an early Sunday morning, and I don't have to visit the company today. At least let me rest," Max says, looking at his reflection in the mirror before washing his face.

     Étienne started fixing his master's bed for him and waited for him to finish. "I apologize master. I am aware that you are tired after the banquet you attended last night, but unfortunately, someone is waiting for you downstairs."

     Max just finished gargling so he spits the water out of his mouth and looks back at his butler with an annoyed expression. "It's the old man, isn't it?"

     Étienne didn't even have to tell Max that his guess was right. Instead, he takes Max's silk robe from his cabinet. Max wipes his face, and then he walks toward his butler and stretched his arms so Étienne could help wear them for him.

     "How's his mood?" Max asks.

     "It's good," Étienne answers. "It seems that his trip to Singapore went well."

     "The bitch was probably with him," Max comments before turning to face Étienne. When Max saw the unpleased expression on Étienne's face, Max sighed and quickly corrected himself, "My apologies, I meant his bitchy fiancé."

     "Leigh..."

     "What? You can't force me to like my father's mistress just because the old man decided to marry her. It would be terribly rude to my dead mother," Max answers as he starts walking towards the door.

     Max was about to grab the doorknob, but then Étienne asks him, "If you're concerned about being rude to her then why aren't you wearing her necklace anymore?"

     The question instantly made Max stop moving. He unconsciously reached out to touch the necklace, but then he realized, he wasn't wearing it anymore. When did he stop wearing it? He's been feeling his brooches all this time that he didn't even notice.

     "Why did you remove her necklace after having the resolve that you're going to start wearing it?" Étienne continues to ask, and Max clenches his fist and got ready to answer his butler back, but Max stops himself and just takes a deep breath instead.

     "That's none of your concern," Max replies as he finally steps out of his bedroom.

     Étienne sighed, but he followed Max anyway, finally dropping the topic.