Chapter 13

Riley

Before we got to dinner, Yoseph mentioned that he and Clarissa agreed not to tell anyone about their situation. I simply wished him luck. Considering the way they've been staring at each other this whole dinner, the secrecy won't last for long. I'm not sure about the pack, but I could definitely see and feel the tension between those two. It's so hard to pay attention to Alpha Cody and Luna Kiana with these indecisive, stubborn love birds eying each other all night.

"So what's it like living with the Royal Family?" Bridget asked. Bridget was very innocent and sweet. Although that might just be a facade for her parents. Everyone is nicer when their parents are around. Bridget had wavy light blonde hair- almost white. She was thin with a runner's physique. It was obvious that she took after her father. She is Beta Sampson's younger daughter at 13; he also has an older daughter named Tiana who is 19. Tiana looked more like her mother, Yenna. She had golden tan skin and black hair. Tiana's mate, Chase, is training to take over as Beta.

I turned my attention to the teenager. "It's surprisingly normal. Or at least it's my normal" I said, making her giggle and the adults smile. "They're very compassionate and caring people; and they've been my family for as long as I can remember."

Talking about my family was bittersweet. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the Royals. I love them. They are my family. But I had a family before them. Not one that I remember explicitly. But I know that I had a family that loved me. A mother that loved me enough to sacrifice herself to save me.

Ever since Clyde asked if I would change my past, I wonder about the 'what ifs'. What if things were different? If I wasn't a Royal? If I still had that family? I could ponder it for hours. Think about what it could have been like to grow up surrounded by witches instead of werewolves. Would I be with someone by now? Would I have my own kids? Would I still be part of my mother's coven? Would I go and bring my own kids to that same swing my mother had brought me to?

I pushed the thoughts out of my head. I'm very fortunate for what the Royals have done for me and given me. Dave has protected me from the moment he met me. I'm so appreciative of the huge family I have now. And even if I'm curious, I would never exchange my life for any other. Even weeks later, my answer remains the same. I wouldn't go back and change it.

"Yes, they have been very compassionate since they've grown. I believe Wendy, Alpha Asher's-" Cody cleared his throat, cutting off Kiana with a stern look. She gave me a soft apologetic smile. "I meant no harm or offense. Your family has just come a long way," she said.

I returned her smile and nodded my head. "Yes. They've gone through a lot, but I believe they will always come out stronger than before," I said honestly.

We changed subjects and made small talk for the rest of dinner. I had learned that Kiana and Cody's eldest daughter, Fiora, is in line for Alpha. It isn't rare nowadays. Before, it was always the oldest son becoming Alpha. Now it's just the oldest child. Of course it is optionary, although declining the role is a bit frowned upon. Fiora is 19. Cody and Kiana are very adamant that she is ready to take over the pack, but she postponed the official ceremony until she meets her mate. She's not the only one searching for a mate. At least hers definitely exists.

Clarissa suddenly stood, making quite a few heads turn. She politely excused herself, grabbing her plate and making her way to the kitchen. I guess the mate talk was too much for her considering her mate was across the table, refusing to say a word to her. I glanced at Yoseph who looked deep in thought. Just a moment later, he stood and picked up his plate, following Clarissa to the kitchen. Earnest and I shared a knowing look. I was hopeful they could talk something out.

The pair leaving caused a butterfly effect, little by little people grabbed their plates and dismissed themselves from dinner. I think the day caught up to me because I yawned. Kiana smiled softly at me. "Get some rest dear. I'll take your plate," she said warmly as she grabbed my dishes from the table.