Chapter 11

Riley

"Bringing a rejected wolf would've been bad enough," Dave stated with anger in his voice. "But you brought back a mateless rogue!" Lila was standing off to the side with Leigh and Dale behind her. She stood in a protective stance, ready to attack if necessary.

Yoseph stared at him with his chest out, challenging Dave. I stood between them and turned towards Dave. "How could you say that? Rogues are no different than us!" I defended.

Dave growled, causing Yoseph to stand in front of me for security. "You've known this trash for one night. And you decided to bring him into our home. With my children and my family? Just because he complimented you?" Dave spat.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I would never put our family in danger" I retorted, attempting to hide my hurt.

"You don't know him. You don't know what he's capable of. You don't know if he's using you. Or if he's just gonna drop you when he does find his mate." Dave argued. "Stop being so naive!"

I flinched at his words, losing my will to keep fighting. Yoseph growled, gently pushing me to the side, he pounced at Dave.

"Riley!" I shot up, hitting my head on the roof of the car. "Shit. You okay?" Yoseph asked, rubbing the top of my head.

I rubbed my eyes and shook my head. "I'm fine. Just a crazy dream" I muttered. I know in my heart that Dave wouldn't act like that if Yoseph was the man I brought back to the castle. But he truly shouldn't be the one. Yeah. He's nice and I like him. And he thinks I'm beautiful. But it has to be a rejected wolf. Not a mateless wolf. Not to mention it's a little too soon to bring Yoseph to meet the family.

Yoseph stretched out, best he could while in the car. "You wanna talk about it?" He wondered, with a yawn escaping his light pink lips. I turned my attention to outside, trying to ignore my rapidly beating heart. I decided against telling him about my dream. We both got out of the car and properly stretched out the kinks in our limbs.

"Well. Good morning, love birds" Jeremiah teased, walking up to the car with the rest of the group. I let out a long yawn while stretching my arms out. "Oh! Didn't get much sleep last night?" He questioned, suggestively.

I rolled my eyes while Yoseph punched his arm. "Sexual harassment will never get a girl to like you. NEVER" Yoseph stated. "Not that it's any of your business though; but NOTHING happened last night," he clarified.

I thought that was a cute gesture; and I tried not to blush. I felt like I was going back to being a teenager with a crush. It was ridiculous. Yoseph and I were not gonna happen. I had that feeling like it was another year of werewolves coming around the kingdom to find their mates. You'd see that one person that just got your heart to pump faster. However, you knew deep down that it wasn't fate. It was just wishful thinking- something that would never actually happen.

But hey, a girl can dream right?

"Did you want to get some breakfast before heading off" Marina asked. I decided against it. I took a nice little break spending the night in the camp house. I shouldn't stay longer. I need to be productive. I'm not going on this little adventure to have fun. I have priorities. I have a mission. I'm not swearing off fun for the entire trip, but I do have things I need to do.

I began going around and saying my goodbyes. "Well, I guess this is it then" Jeremiah said dramatically. "Summer love. Over before it even started" he pouted.

"It was more like a one night stand" Yoseph chimed in. "Except you didn't get any action" he pointed out.

Jeremiah scowled. "Neither did you" he shot back.