Chapter 23

As Will rolled groggily out of bed the next morning, part of him regretted staying up so late with Mike the previous night. He'd forgotten all about his day at work, and now everything seemed too bright, too loud. And he had a headache. He stretched his arms high above his head, feeling a shiver run through his body.

The lacy curtains fluttered in the breeze from the window Will had forgotten to close when he slipped back through it the previous night, threatening to blow open all the while Will was changing.

At some point in the morning he had began to run late, time slipping away from him, so he rushed out of Cedar, recieving a raised eyebrow and snide comment from Robin of "Out again last night?" as he flew past her and out of the front door.

He barely managed to keep himself awake as he served customers that morning, frequently stumbling and yawning, Max offering him one of her breaks to extend his enough so he could take a nap. He refused, instead making himself a coffee in order to shake himself awake.

Will still let out a silent sigh of relief when it was time for him to take his lunch break, however, and El offered to come with him.

That was how he found himself seated at one of the tables outside the restraunt, laughing wildly at El, eating a bacon sandwich he'd bought from the next shop over.

"You know, I'm glad you've perked up," El smiled as Will's laughter subsided. "You really looked like a Zombie Boy when you showed up today, I was scared you'd pass out." The comment sent Will into an uneasy silence, and he prayed she wouldn't ask the question he knew she would. "What the hell were you doing that left you so tired?"

"I dunno," he stalled, trying to plaster an innocent expression onto his face. "I couldn't sleep last night, and went outside to get some air. I ended up being out for longer than expected."

El raised an eyebrow, but didn't press him further about the matter. "Stupid idea," she commented, and Will simply shrugged and took a bite of his sandwich to save himself from having to answer her.

"Hey, uh-" Will's words failed him as El's eyes slid up from her food to lock onto his face. "My paycheck got bumped up, you and Max wanna hang out with me tonight? We can go out for dinner, watch a movie, whatever you two want."

"God yes," El breathed, grinning at him, causing the edges of his lips to twitch up subconsciously in reponse. "We haven't hung out, all three of us, in what feels like forever."

"I know," Will flashed a quick half smile. "I guess I've just been busy, but I'm gonna make more time for you and Max again." Will hid his wince as he heard Mike's voice echo his own.

"Sorry, I guess I was just busy."

"No, I promise I'll be back this time."

"I'll come around later, I promise."

El didn't seem to pick up on his realisation, instead grinning back wildly. "Yeah, we have too, don't worry about it. I can't wait to get back into our regular hangouts again."

Will nodded as he took another bite out of his sandwich.

"How are things with Mike?" El questioned, her tone half-hearted. The question was clearly just to fill the silence while Will chewed and she obviously wasn't too interested in his answer. However, he froze, and his eyes slid away from El and down towards the floor, a red tinge beginning to form on his cheeks. "Sorry, nevermind," El shrugged it off, picking up on the eggshells she was treading on by asking about Mike.

"Come on, lunch break's almost over," Will said quickly, rescuing the situation and diverting both his own and El's attention with a flash of a smile.

He re-fastened his apron as El pushed open the door, holding it to the side for him so he could step through. Max's face brightened at the sight of them stepping into the restraunt, and she sidled over, tossing her cloth in a teasing manner at Will, who only just caught it.