DEAL WITH THE DEVIL

I vividly heard the approaching footsteps of wet sound of someone on grass echoing off the forest, announcing their arrival. Glancing at my back as I slide into the path of broken roots, ominous shadows of figures and spikes danced over the smoldering ruins of the forest by their flaming torches.

Thunder claps in rhythm with my steps as I bounded through the sticks and leaves with quick feet, followed by the stinging kisses of raindrops on my skin. My bare feet aches. Even mosquitoes were slipping under my skin scarred by tall grass scratches, gnawing it. Each time my cloak catches on a branch, I just yank on the material, not minding if it tears.

My palms dropped to my knees, stopping to take a lungful of oxygen. I dart my gaze to survey the place, finding an abandoned church peeking somewhere within the tribe of trees. I dived into the bushes. If I shield myself in there, I would be convinced to throw them off their trail.

Weeds and vines were overlaying the red-toned walls of the Holy Cathedral I found in the middle of the forest of Lovenholm. It may look like it was built centuries ago but it all seem fine and dandy. I shuffled through the path of perfect brickwork and pushed on the enormous old-fashioned door expecting it to swing open, but it doesn't. I snatched my hairpin off my hair and picked on the keyhole. Lucky for me, I had myself picking locks before I could pick my own nose.

When I heard the signal for entry, the door flung wide open with a creek after a nudge. The odour of nothing but the combination of petrichor and dying flowers demanded entrance into my nostrils. The whistling wind felt cold and it was used to the dust as I made my way inside, leaving a trail of muddy footprints along the way right after I shut the door.

For the most part is silence, and it feels like I'm being haunted like every other holy thing, especially that I'm surrounded with nothing but darkness. But, there is nothing that an open window can't fix. On second thought, I know that I wanted to do that, that is if I want someone to know where my hiding place is.

I managed to grab hold of an unidentified statue when I almost slip. The floor is old, unvarnished and slippery with the recent rain, and I know where it came from; of course, aside from me who's dripping wet the entire time. There was a damaged chunk on the high-ceiling roof that they left to die where rain leaks. I took a saggy boot I found somewhere on the marble floor and let the water drip there.

I strolled towards the nave and saw a match and candle on the Lord's table. I took a match and dragged it across the striker strip to ignite a fire and lit up the candle. The light boomed not all over the place, but not closer to nothing either. And, there, I saw a church of shattered glass and faithful hallelujahs.

I extended my hand forward with a grasp on the candle holder to flood light on my way to the Confessional, hearing nothing but the soft crashes of flower petals withered into crisp under my feet that are scattered all over the altar.

I placed the candle down a pew before yanking the booth door open, closing it behind me as I enter. My finger finds its way to my filthy dress to smudge off the dust and iron. It was now musty and rusty, but neither do I even care.

I sat on the chair and made the sign of the cross, remaining silent for a lil' while. The never ending rain as well as the soft slapping branches were my sole company there. "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned," I started.

Silence was the only response I received. Thunder clapped from the outside.

"Forgive me for choosing to do wrong and failing to do good," I whispered, "Father, I have sinned against the Lord."

My hand slid into the depths of my ragged pocket to bring out the sack of dimes I stole. I shut my eyes, reminiscing the scene earlier where I robbed the village's merchant store. I should be drenched in wet. But, I don't think I'm sweating.