Chapter 3: The Cadet Corps Part 1

(Time skip to Cadet Corps)

"MY NAME IS COMMANDANT SHADIS," He bellowed, "YOU WILL SOON LEARN TO HATE ME."

His voice became faint as I stopped paying attention to whatever he was saying and started drifting off into a world where I was back in that place referred to as 'Marley.' It was so surreal, that dream I had a little after Wall Maria was breached. I always wondered who commander Magath and Willy Tybur were.

If I tried, I could lose myself in one of my dreams and stay forever. But unfortunately...

"What's your name, cadet?!" Commander Shadis yelled.  He was right in my face. Doesn't he know anything about personal space?

"Y/N L/N, sir!" I said, putting my right fist on my heart and my left arm behind my back. I leaned backward some so our noses weren't touching anymore.

"I can't hear you!"  Commandant Shadis bellowed.  

"I'M Y/N L/N FROM SHIGANSHINA DISTRICT!" I spoke loud and clear.

"Got any family, L/N?" He seemed slightly more relaxed, but he was still yelling.

"I'm an orphan. I don't know who my parents are, I said. "However, I consider Eren Yeager, Mikasa Ackerman, and Armin Arlert as family."

"Is that so?" He replied, giving me a stern look.

Commandant Shadis turned away from me and started scanning the rookies for anyone he might be able to yell at but not before getting one extra glance at me.

Commandant Shadis walked down the sections of people until he could across Armin.

"Hey, mop top!" Commandant Shadis yelled.

"That's rude. You shouldn't call someone names." I thought.

"Sir!" Armin replied, hand over his heart and arm behind his back.

"What do they call you, maggot?!" Shadis questioned. The sharpness in his tone made me uneasy.

"Armin Arlert from Shinganshina, sir!" It was apparent to me that Armin was nervous, very nervous.

"Wow, seriously?" Shadis began, "Why would your parents curse you with such a dumb name?"

"It was my grandfather, sir!"

"Cadet Arlert! Why is a runt like you here?"

"To help humanity overcome the Titans!"

"That's delightful to hear. You're going to be a great light snack for them!" Shadis said. "I wonder why L/N would even consider a maggot like you to be family."

"Now, Row Three, About Face, runt!" Shadis grabbed the top of Armin's head and turned him the other way.

Shadis walked away from Armin and went towards a blonde guy with really weird sideburns. That guy was sweating like mad. I wonder what Shadis was going to do to him.

"What do you call yourself?"

"Sir. My name is Thomas Wagner; I'm from the Trost district!"

"I can't hear you!"

"I'm from Trost, sir, my name-"

I started dosing off again. Why make us wear these uniforms when the weather is hotter than the sun? I feel like I'm going to get a heat stroke.

"What do we have over here!" Shadis yelled.
His screaming got my attention.

"Jean Kirschtien, sir. From the Trost District!"

"And why are you here, cadet?"

"To join the Military Police, sir." He answered.
Why does he kind of look like a horse?

"That's nice." Shadis said sarcastically, "You want to live in the interior, do you?"

"Yes!" He stated. He looked kind of .. relieved.

Shadis then head-butted Jean.
Jean was on the ground clutching his head. That must have hurt, no doubt.

"No one told you to sit, Recruit!" Shadis yelled, "If you can't handle this, Kirschtein,  then forget about joining the Military Police!"

"Hey, are you okay?" I rushed over to Jean.

"Yeah, I'm... fine." He looked up at me like I was some angel.

"L/N, don't waste your sympathy on him," Shadis turned to me. "He'll only bring you trouble."

"How about I get you an ice pack?" I said with a worried tone.

"I-It's fine." Jean's face was ruby red, "You should go back to your spot."

"Ok," I sighed.

I got up and went back to where I was initially standing.

The commandant was walking straight toward a guy with black hair and freckles. To be honest, he was kind of cute.

"What the hell is wrong with your face, you smiling idiot?!" Shadis looked pissed.

"Marco Bodt at your service, sir, from Jinae," Marco said. "South side of Wall Rose. I aim to join the Military Police and give life and limb in service to the king!"

Even though Marco still had that smile on his face, I could tell that he was about to piss his pants.

"Well then, that makes you an idealistic fool. And a rube." Shadis said.
"You want the truth," He continued, a dark aura surrounding him, "The only  use the king has for your life and limbs are as Titan fodder."

"Hey, Cue-ball. You're up next!" He said as he turned away from Marco and toward a boy with a shaved head.

"Oh, me?" The boy said, "Sir! Conny Springer from Ragako village, sir!"
The boy 'Conny' made a big mistake. He put his fist on the right side of his chest, not his left.

I started dosing off again. But I woke up just in time for Shadis to ridicule a girl named  Sasha. Also, as punishment for eating a potato she stole, she had to run laps until sundown, and her food privileges were taken away for 5 days: man, what a day.

———————————————————————-

Hello! This is a long one, and it took me some time, so I'm going on a few hours break before I pick it up again.
- Author Chan