Dauntless

When all of the initiates reach the net, we follow Em and Max down a narrow tunnel.

Tobias and I look around to gather out surroundings, like every other transfer.

The walls are made of stone which make me feel like I am in a cave. The tunnel is lit at long intervals and I feel relieved that I am not afraid of the dark. In the light patches, I see that there are two initiates in front of me; an Erudite boy and girl.

They both suddenly stop walking and I almost crash into them but stop myself before I do, I then nudge Tobias to stop him.

Everyone stops and the two leaders at the front turn back to face us.

"This is where we divide," Em announces, "the Dauntless born are with Max, you don't really need a tour around here."

The Dauntless born separate from us and follow Max into a dark hallway to our right. When the others leave, there are only two Erudite boys, an Erudite girl, an Amity girl, a Candor boy, a Candor girl, Alison, Tobias and I left.

Em turns towards us with another man at her side. "Most of the time I work as ambassador for Dauntless but for the next few weeks of initiation, I am your instructor," she says, "my name is Em."

"And I am Jai, I am one of the leaders of our faction and I have a tight schedule so I won't be here as much as Em," Jai says, "located behind us is the Pit, which we will show you now."

Em pushes open the doors and we all walk into the Pit.

"Ohhh, now I get why they call it the Pit," Alison mutters from behind.

The first thing that I notice is that everyone in the Pit is dressed in black. They were all shouting and gesturing to each other, which was a nice difference to the calm atmosphere of Abnegation.

"Come on then, we are now going to show you the chasm," Em tells us, beckoning us forward.

When she turns around I notice a tattoo of an eagle on her shoulder and it makes me smile at what Marcus' reaction would be if Tobias and I got one.

The chasm turns out to be fast flowing water, crashing against the rocks and spraying us and the railing that we stand on.

"The chasm reminds us that there is a thin line between bravery and idiocy," Jai shouts over the roar of the water, "don't try to jump off this ledge because you won't survive," he warns, "it has happened before and will happen again."

That last remark leaves me wondering about the other initiates. Would one off us throw ourselves over?

Em and Jai then lead us to the other side of the Pit and through a large hole in the wall. The room behind it is a dining hall, filled with a sea of people in black clothing.

When we walk in, the Dauntless that are inside stand up and start cheering for us. They so are loud and happy it makes me smile, I look at Tobias who smiles back.

Em and Jai quickly disappear to eat with their friends, I presume. Tobias and I sit down at the nearest table and Ruby sits opposite us. On my other side is the blonde haired Erudite boy who stood in front of me earlier.

I look at the odd food on offer, then I look at Alison, hoping for an explanation.

"It's a hamburger! Haven't either of you had a hamburger before?" She asks with a shocked expression.

"The Stiffs only eat plain food. Apparently it's 'too selfish' to have 'extravagant' food like hamburgers" the blonde Erudite says, with sarcastic quote marks.

"Which textbook did you swallow?" I say. It is rude of him to interrupt us.

"Oh! A feisty stiff! What's next? Zombies?" Says the brunette girl next to him.

I glare at them. I left Abnegation to be free of Marcus, the drab grey life and the stereotyping... I suppose not many things change.

"And you are?" Alison asks the Erudite boy and girl. How Candor of her.

"Eric Matthews, and this is Brooke West," he says. Matthews... I recognise that name.

"Are you related to Jeanine?" Alison asks.

"Yeah, she's my aunt," Eric says.

"I'm Alison Vero. And this is Tobias and Reina Eaton," Alison says.

I nod when introduced. Tobias has kept an emotionless face through out the conversation.

"You know... you guys don't really look like twins... I mean... Reina, you're blonde with green eyes and Tobias, you have brown hair and blue eyes! No one would guess!" Alison says.

I think about what she said. I supped we don't look that alike. I get my looks from Marcus, Tobias gets his from mother.

I think Alison is trying to make conversation, but when Tobias and I have to be the subject, I'd rather have a silence.

"Hey! Aren't you two the Abnegation leader's children?" Brooke asks.

I freeze. I have just been called HIS child. I get up from the table and leave.

Tobias follows soon after, he probably gave a reason to leave. I have always been the 'over-dramatic' one. I have always been the 'stupid reckless' one.

Why should I have to tell everyone a reason for things? Why should they know my life story? They already know most of the truth from Jeanine's report about Marcus and the Abnegation.... I wonder how many people know that the so-called lies are true.