Science Classes with Caliba: The Sun

The Sun is all the colors mixed together; this appears white to our eyes. 

The Sun is composed of hydrogen (70%) and Helium (28%).

Many ancient cultures worshiped the sun as a deity (Egyptian, Indo-European, and Meso-American.)

It is a relatively young star, part of a generation known as Population I.

It is about halfway through its lifetime

You can fit 1.3 million earths into it.

It is the largest object in the solar system.

Its mass is 333,000 times that of the earth.

It occupies about 99.86 percent of the total mass of the solar system.

It is closer to earth than all other stars.

It is approximately 391 times as far away from earth as the moon.

Its distance from the earth changes at different points during the year.

It is 30,000 light years away from the center of The Milky Way.

Light from the sun takes eight minutes and twenty seconds to reach the earth.

The sun's gravity anchors earth and all the other planets together in a small space called the solar system.

The sun is at the center of the solar system and all planets orbit around it.

If the sun weren't there, the earth would travel in a straight line.

Its gravity is 28 times stronger than earth's gravity.

The bubble that surrounds the sun and solar system is called the heliosphere.

Helioseismology is the study of the interior of the sun.

The sun is studied using many satellites, the main one being the SOHO (Solar and Heliospheric Observatory)

One million earths would make up 0.00033% of all the stars in the Milky Way.

There are electric currents inside of it that generate a magnetic field which spreads throughout the solar system.

A geomagnetic storm is a worldwide disturbance of the earth's magnetic field as a result of solar activity.

The sun produces energy that supports all life on earth through a process known as photosynthesis.

Its energy is produced from the fusion of hydrogen into helium.

Its temperature is approximately between 5500 and 6000 degrees Celsius.

Nuclear reactions occur within the core of the sun, due to its temperature and pressure.

It emits three different kinds of energy: infrared radiation, visible light, and ultraviolet light.

The ozone layer absorbs most of the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays which cause sun burns.

The suns UV rays also have antiseptic properties.

The process by which energy moves from the sun to the earth is known as radiation.

The heat and energy released from the core of the sun take a million years to reach its surface.

When magnetic energy that has been building up in the sun's atmosphere is suddenly released, it causes a rapid variation in brightness known as a solar flare.

The amount of energy released during a flare is equivalent to a simultaneous explosion of millions of 100-megaton hydrogen bombs.

This explosion is ten million times greater than a volcanic eruption but less than 1/10th of the total energy emitted by the sun per second.