thirty three -

EPISODE ELEVEN
"monopoly"
SEASON 6

EPISODE ELEVEN "monopoly"SEASON 6

GREY KINGSTON

i'm borrowing a dress from rosita's closet. she came across it while out on the road months before our groups crossed paths and scooped it up. it's a tight, black dress that hits just around mid-thigh on me. the straps over my shoulders are a little loose, but she promises my hair covers it and no one will notice.

i asked her where the hell she found such a dress in the middle of an apocalypse. she said, "nice things find you if you look hard enough, no matter what state the world is in."

but i don't think i have to look hard—not when we're all seated around the dining room table in aaron and eric's house, eating, drinking, sharing stories.

it still feels divided, the original residents of alexandria, and then our group. an uncertainty, a low level of trust, side-eye and muttering behind each other's backs, that's how it is most of the time.

but tonight, we feel like humans—just humans. no groups, no outcasts, just a group of humans who survived and are now living in the same set of walls.

it might just be the alcohol in everyone's system and we'll all go back to our divided ways tomorrow, but i'll take this feeling for tonight.

my eyes wander across everyone seated in front of me as we listen to aaron's story of how he found a maryland license plate to add to his and eric's collection.

then my eyes land on rick, who's already looking at me. he's sitting at the head of the table, jessie and glenn on either side of him.

i smile, blinking away and allowing my gaze to fall into my lap.

"will you come help me for a second? i have a whole other batch of cookies and seeing how these are almost gone, maybe i should've brought them too. they have a little extra beets in them, but they'll still be good, don't you think?" carol whispers to rosita who's seated next to me.

rosita laughs, "i'm sure they're fine. yeah, i'll come help."

"grey?" carol looks at me with imploring eyes.

"sure." i agree, standing up with the two of them to head out of the dining room.

it's been getting cooler at night as we come to an end of summer. the sun has gone down completely and it's quiet outside.

the three of us make our way down the street, four houses down until we reach ours. descending the front porch steps is carl in a hurried fashion.

"hey, everything okay?" i ask him once he makes it down to the sidewalk.

"yeah, i'm heading' to enid's, i'll be back. you don't have to tell my dad."

"carl." i say, stopping him from walking any further. "ron's there too?"