eighty eight -

EPISODE FOURTEEN
"my name from her mouth"
SEASON 8

。°⚠︎°。 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘴 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘴𝘦𝘹

RICK GRIMES

how does it work? in between the time the sun rises and sets hours later, who or what decides who's going to make it to see the stars and moon hang overhead once more?

yesterday, the dead infiltrated the areas our legions were in within 100 minutes of the excursion. word was sent through the radios to retreat to the nearest dock for evacuation from the city and back to the blocks. upon retrieving drew maddison's body from the alleyway i sat with him in, they found his radio to be defective, only allowing communication to go out and everything coming in went unheard.

essentially, drew and i were cut off from the rest, never hearing the warning to retreat from the herd coming forth. the broken walkie talkie flew under inspection before our departure into the city and cost the guard his life. the last legion to leave, F3, rick's legion, heard my last attempt of calling for help when i switched the channel on the radio to reach outside of my own legion.

bad things happened yesterday, but good things happened too and i keep wondering if for some reason ... did the bad things have to happen in order for the good to happen? is any of it even good at all if people die?

i guess it has to do with perspective. i guess to others, yesterday was the worst day of their lives. for me and rick, bad things happened, but it was also a good day.

i don't know how it works, who or what decides which lives will be taken in the span of twenty four hours. i don't know which day will be my last to watch the sun rise and set, but until then, each time i watch the moon before i fall asleep, i guess i'll say it's been a good day.

i glance up at her, away from the book i hold in my hands that has the ink of her writing. her brown eyes are a molten, golden honey as she looks into the fire that's between us. a breeze drifts down the dry culvert we're taking shelter in for the night and she wraps her arms around herself, not looking at me, thinking i'm still reading what she wrote.

"you never had anything to run from. if you just talked to us ... jensen was right about what he told you," a glance at grey. "we don't normally let people leave the colony once they're residents here, it's stupid and dangerous, but your situation is different. most people we save don't have a group, or if they do they're with them and they come along."