«⟨𝟬𝟭⟩»

Clear and cloudless sky. Birds singing. People walk quietly down the street. Cars passing on the road. All this could be observed from the window of a classroom.

It was the 3rd-grade classroom, all the children were talking and playing while the teacher tried to teach them multiplication.

"Let's see, kids!" she tries to get the children's attention with applause, but it had no effect. She just sighed in a sign of surrender.

In the classroom, a small girl with orange hair could be distinguished. She was distracted, looking out the window.

"Kids!" the teacher raised her voice, this time managing to quiet the noise and get their attention. "Well... now we can continue with the class," she sighed in relief.

She began to explain the procedure patiently, so that they could understand each step. The girl with orange hair still didn't take her eyes off the window. She didn't like math, but that didn't mean she wasn't good at it, so for her, it made sense to ignore that class.

"Jade, tell me, how much is three times eight?" the teacher asked.

"Twenty-four" she answered immediately.

"Very good!" the teacher praised. "Harper, how much is eight times seven?"

"Fifty-six!"

And so the hours of class passed, boring according to Jade. That's what she told her mother when she came to pick her up.

...

"The virus discovered a year ago is being controlled thanks to the InEsC.1. Due to their efforts, we ar-"

It could be heard through the television in the kitchen.

"The InEsC 1 is just a government invention to sneak something into us along with the vaccines," speaks a woman, approximately 30 years old, as she sits at the table.

"But you got vaccinated..." a man, 29 years old, verbalizes.

"They forced me since I work in a contaminated sector, it's just 'precaution' according to them," she clarifies, making air quotes with her fingers.

"Mom."

"Tell me, Jade, what's up?" Both adults looked attentively at the younger one.

"I want a dog," the girl blurts out. "In a week, I'll turn 8, I'm old enough to have a pet," she smiles innocently.

The two adults looked at each other and then turned their gaze back to their daughter, whose eyes were brighter than the moon or the sun. After a few minutes, they started to have lunch. The girl didn't stop talking about what would happen if she had a pet.

"Don't you prefer a cat?" the father contradicts.

"I want a dog, cats are boring," the girl explains, crossing her arms with a pout on her lips.

"Sure, okay," the mother gives in to her daughter's insistence.

"Great!" the girl squeals very excited.

The excitement that the little orange-haired girl felt was very noticeable because, who doesn't rejoice when your parents agree to something you want...

Jade started to eat.

...