Chapter 6

Planes had become a way of life for Seth after he joined WWE. On the indie circuit, most of his travel had been done by car—usually rentals or beaters that sounded like they wouldn't survive the next corner, let alone cross state lines—but he had grown accustomed to flights. On some occasions, WWE even arranged for helicopters to take wrestlers to special events. Even that didn't compare to the plane Vida had arranged. He knew Isabelle had called it a medivac, so he had been expecting some small plane with minimal seating. As long as it gets Becky where she needs to go, he had told himself, it doesn't matter.

The plane was small, at least compared to those in commercial fleets, but that was the only expectation of Seth's that was met. The interior was high-tech and somehow elegant, even though it was full of medical equipment. There was enough seating for ten people, so both Nelson and Lorenzo were stretched out and sleeping. Isabelle's seat was empty most of the time, because she was usually attending to Becky. "Should she be sleeping this long?" he asked, gripping his phone. He needed to hear a familiar voice, but he wasn't sure if it was safe to make a call.

The witch nodded as she removed an empty intravenous bag and replaced it with one filled with a bubbling silvery liquid. "If she can rest, yes. It will make it easier for her body to focus on healing. It's not a medically induced coma," Isabelle clarified. "But it is similar."

Seth held up his phone. "Can I—?"

The rest of his question was cut off by a series of loud thumps. Another of the feature of the plane that was unusual was its holding area. Vida was clearly prepared for unruly werewolves or unexpected transformations, because there were two holding cells at the rear of the plane. Even over the pumped-in air and the whir of the engine, Maggie's tirade could be heard. Nelson and Lorenzo, who had apprehended her, were so used to it that it didn't faze them, but it still irritated Seth. How was it fair that Maggie was awake and aware and so full of energy while Becky was pale and battered on the gurney, strapped down in case of turbulence? "Ignore her," Isabelle advised. "You had a question?"

"I do," Seth replied, rising to his feet and shoving his phone in his pocket, "but I'm tired of listening to her whining." As he strode to the back, he added, "What's the code for the door?"

The witch dropped the empty intravenous bag to the floor and hurried after Seth. "You don't want to do this," she counselled.

"Oh, I very much do." Seth hesitated at the door that led to the holding cells. "The code?"

Isabelle held his gaze for a moment, and he realized her eyes weren't blue at all, but a pale green that reminded him of one of Sasha's favourite crystals. "I won't stop you. You're an adult and you can accept the consequences of your actions." She stepped in front of Seth and, shielding the keypad with her body, entered the code so quickly he couldn't even hear the beeps. "I will let you in once. Only once. And I will remind you that werewolf justice is as sharp as your teeth. Vida will make sure Maggie is dealt with appropriately."

Seth snorted softly as he followed Isabelle to the cells. There was no storage back there, nothing for a potential captive to use as a weapon. The lighting was recessed and dim, but still enough for him to see Maggie throwing herself at her cell door. "I think she and I may have define appropriately somewhat differently."

"Fucking coward!" Maggie spat, trying to reach for him through the bars of her cell. "You're so scared of your wolf that you won't join a pack. You play-fight with pathetic little humans for a living because you can't handle a fight against a wolf. You fuck stupid little human whores because yo—"

Before Isabelle could react, Seth grabbed Maggie's outstretched arms and bent them backwards so quickly that her shoulders dislocated. As Maggie's knees wobbled from the pain, he smashed each arm against the bars over and over, listening to the snap of bones over and over. "You're the coward," Seth hissed, shoving her to the floor where she crumpled in a piteous heap. "And you better hope Vida's in charge of your punishment, because you sure as fuck don't want it to be up to me."