Chapter 13

"All-terrain wheelchair," Becky remarked as Seth helped her navigate the heavily wooded trail. "That's pretty cool." The path was far too bumpy for her to manage as a novice user, but Seth was happy to help guide the chair for her. They were at the back of the pack, and the werewolves ahead of them were removing fallen branches whenever they came upon them, clearing the way for Becky's wheelchair.

"Vida's got a lot of cool stuff in development. Wish she designed cars." Seth adjusted his go-bag on the wheelchair's back.

"Maybe she does." Becky reached up and patted his right hand. "Seth, if you don't want to...." Vida and everyone else had been so focussed on Becky's decision that they all seemed to neglect Seth's part in it. Given her limited options, having Seth turn her seemed like the natural choice, but Becky wanted to make sure he was comfortable with it. "You don't have to. I don't even have to be here. I can wait back in the van...."

"No." When one of the other werewolves looked back, Seth waved them ahead. "We just need to chat for a minute. We'll be right there." Then Seth knelt in front of her chair. "Becks, you know I love you. I'd like nothing more than for you to be a wolf and run with me. But... I just hate that it wasn't your choice. I wanted this to be something you asked for, not something you... needed."

Leaning forward, Becky kissed him softly. The forest was gloriously thick and dense, and Becky couldn't remember the last time she had smelled air that was so clean. "For what it's worth, I would have asked in my own time. It just would have taken me a while to get there. I didn't want you to ever feel... like you had to. And I still don't. If something happens between us, I'm not going to hold this against you. Ever."

"You're still nervous, though." Seth slid a hand into her hair. "I mean, I understand why. I do. But... like I said, I just wish this was all happening differently. Just us, not a pack. No injuries, no rush, just... us."

"We'll get there," Becky assured him. "We didn't exactly have a conventional start to our relationship, remember? The only difference is that we could tell a funny story about it. This is going to be a bit harder to explain."

Seth nodded slowly. "And Hunter's going to kill me," he added dimly, "and I don't think he'll be nearly as quick about it as the pack was with Maggie."

"Roman will put in a good word for you. His status has to count for something, right?" Becky kissed him again before tapping his arm. "C'mon. No matter what else happens, you deserve to enjoy the full moon tonight. You've had a rough week."

Seth's incredulous laugh rang throughout the forest. "I had a rough week? Then what kind of week did you have?"

Becky thought for a moment. "A transformative one." She didn't want to keep thinking about Maggie's attack; dwelling and moping weren't going to help her at all. If she looked at the situation as a chance to change—and not just in the very literal physical sense—then it became just another obstacle, and she had all sorts of experience with those.

"You are... incredible." Seth shook his head in wonder as he stood. "I don't know how you do it."

"Make you a deal: you teach me how to be a werewolf," Becky replied, "and I'll teach you how to... make amazing toast."

The absurdity of it made Seth laugh, which was her goal. He had been distraught ever since the attack, no matter how often she insisted it wasn't his fault and that she didn't blame him. "Sounds like a fair trade. Although I imagine it means I'll have to buy a better toaster."

"That's the first step, yes. Well, the second. Right now, the first step," Becky declared, "is getting me to that clearing."

Seth obliged and by the time they caught up with the others, some of the werewolves had already shed their clothing and were pacing, waiting to be able to shift. Zenna walked over and Becky was struck by how she managed to look even smaller when she was naked. "How are you feeling?" she asked warmly. "Nervous? Do you have any questions?"