Chapter 14

Vida's hospital might have been cozier than most and filled with every convenience Seth could possibly imagine, but he still couldn't wait until Becky was cleared to leave. After she had shifted on the full moon, he had thought she would need one more day of observation at most before she could be released, but Zenna insisted running every test she could. Part of Seth figured it was because it was a relatively rare situation and she just wanted to gather data, but he knew the Leonard sisters were looking out for Becky as well.

After all the scans, blood tests, and examinations, the prognosis wasn't ideal, but it wasn't dire either. As Zenna had predicted, Becky's left arm was almost completely healed after her first shift, and she guessed that one more full-moon shift would likely repair it completely. Her left leg, unfortunately, hadn't regenerated as much as the doctors had hoped, so it was heavily bandaged. Any trace of Maggie seemed to be eradicated from her system, however, and Zenna seemed both surprised and pleased by that. "You're a marvel," Seth said, stroking Becky's newly chopped hair. Since she was going to be out of action for a few months, she figured it was as good a time as any to try a new hairstyle, and Vida was happy to bring in a stylist to cut Becky's hair while she was in the recovery ward.

"It was only one moon," Becky insisted, but her eyes were glowing with pride. He remembered seeing that look on her face when she had mastered a move that had eluded her or finally hit a workout milestone that seemed weeks away. "Let's see if I can get through a second one."

"Pretty soon you'll be shifting faster than I do," Seth told her, kissing her forehead as he glanced at his phone. Vida had allowed Becky to have a few visitors and since Roman and Dean already knew Seth was a werewolf, they were the safest. They were due to arrive at any minute, but Seth didn't doubt that Dean either got distracted or Roman had lost track of time. "Not that it's a competition or anything."

Becky grimaced as she adjusted her injured leg on the support pillow. She claimed it didn't hurt much anymore, but Seth doubted it. "Well, since you put it that way," she replied, "I'll ask Zenna if I can make quicker shifting part of my physiotherapy."

Seth laughed. "They aren't going to have you change into a wolf every other day to speed up your healing. It wouldn't work, because your body would be too drained from the constant transformations."

"Fuck. Plan C it is then," Becky sighed.

"Wait. Plan C? What was Plan B, then?" He knew Becky was trying to stay positive during her recovery, but since she was normally so active, it was a struggle.

Becky shrugged. "Probably some magic fix like 'I hope I wake up in the morning and my leg's back to normal'. Not a great plan, as things go...."

Seth's phone nearly vibrated off his lap and he managed to grab it before it fell off the bed. "Hello?"

"Hello, this is Dion from Security. There are some visitors here for you." The guard didn't seem at all convinced. "Can you come downstairs and verify, please?"

"Sure. Be right down." After disconnecting, Seth kissed Becky and slid off the bed. She had insisted he get a proper sleep in a hotel, but he had settled for having a separate bed brought into Becky's recovery suite for him. He still spent far most of his time on her side of the room, though; he would be going back on the road soon and wanted to spend as much time with her as he could. "The security guard wants me to go down to vouch for Roman and Dean," he explained. "I'm not sure why, because Vida must have given them clearance, but...."

"Go ahead. Probably just being extra cautious. I can see why they wouldn't want a bunch of random humans in here." Then Becky paused. "Okay, that's going to take some getting used to."

Seth kissed her again before grabbing his shoes. "You're even more beautiful as a wolf, I promise. Be right back." After he laced his shoes, he tucked his phone into his pocket and ran to the elevator, surprised to see Vida waiting there. "Hey. Did you clear Dean and Roman? I just got a call from security wanting me to go downstairs...."