The Journey Home

As they waited Commander Vachir began to speak "You should give up on ever getting your brother released from here" Mei's eyes widened but did not move as if she was rooted to that spot, she kept calm "I will get him released no matter what it takes I won't give up on hi-" Commander Vachir cut her off before she could continue "Talk like that will get you sent here yourself. You and I both know he's caused too much destruction to be released by any normal means. Your father created this place just for him and maybe even more like him" He shifts his gaze down at her down "Look around" she does as she's told as his voice booms around him "Escape from Chorh Gom prison is impossible, one way in way out, one thousand guards and one prisoner" Mei rolled her eyes as she mumbled underneath her breath "Only a thousand...he can take them all out easily" Commander Vachir arches his brow "Excuse me?" Mei sighs, she tries to sound as convincing as possible to satisfy his ego "Nothing, just saying that it's very impressive. I’m sure my brother would have an immensely hard time if he were to try and escape” she forced a smile which seemed to satisfy him. He smirks as we finally reached the top and stepped off of the lift “It was nice of you to visit your disgrace of a brother, atleast you have some common decency” He chuckles, she looks back as she made her way down the long corridor “Thank you for allowing me to see him, I’ll do so again in the future” with that she walked out of the prison while the soldiers gave her dirty looks, she continued her journey home but her journey would soon be over as after weeks of travel the Valley's entrance came into view. A mixture of fear and excitement swirled inside of with each step she took, unknowing to her when she stopped at the entrance she noticed she was out of breath. Taking a minute to collect herself she took her first step back into the valley, a whirl of emotions hit her all at once anger for the false promises, sadness for losing her older brother, guilt for leaving her family behind, and slight happiness to be back. It felt surreal to be back. There weren't many people in the streets due to it still being early in the morning but she did her best to stay out of the line of sight of the few people who were out and about, not wanting to cause panic of people mistaking her for her brother. She took in the sights of the Valley noticing some changes here and there, some big and some small but all in all she felt somewhat strangely content with being back home.

Taking a deep breath and letting it out, a slight smile appeared on her face as she stared at the sky "It's good to be home…" Master Oogway stood behind her silently smiling at her until he spoke "I would hope so." Startled, Mei quickly turned around and saw Oogway approaching her "Grandpa Oogway!" she smiled and quickly ran to him, instinctively hugging him gently but firmly. Oogway hugged her, gently patting her back "It's nice to see you too” breaking the hug Oogway asked “How was your trip?” Oogway began to walk, taking the back ways to avoid the villagers' gaze. Mei followed him matching his pace “It was..fine” Mei hesitated on answering his question thinking that it was still to sudden to talk about such a sensitive subject but thinking about it, it had been years and she had gone from disappointment, to sadness, to anger, to depression, to bargaining, then begrudging acceptance even if she still had small hope that her brother would change. Oogway looked at her with gentle eyes, she knew what it meant, she could never hide things from Master Oogway. He was always so gentle, kind, and wise that hiding anything from him no matter how small seemed wrong, Mei sighed “I thought about everything alot and…” Mei paused for a moment looking for the right words to say, Oogway waited patiently for her to continue. Mei rubbed her head “I still hope for my brother to change but...I suppose I’ve come to accept that...his home is prison...but I’m not going to give up on him if I know there’s a chance he can change…” Oogway looked on ahead “You have a good heart my child, just be sure to not get your hopes up too much” Mei nodded “Yes Grandpa Oogway” the two continued their walk, catching up on things that have happened and what Mei had learned all her years away. They enjoyed each other's company until before she knew it they were at the top of the stairs at the temples entrance “We are here” Mei opened the doors and looked around the courtyard smiling “This place hasn’t changed a bit” Oogway chuckled “Don’t judge a book by its cover, there's more here than meets the eye” Oogway walks over to the training area with Mei following behind him “There has been a new addition to the family” Mei playfully rolls her eyes “Yes, I know about the new recruits my little sister brought home, Crane, Monkey, Viper, and I do believe Mantis as well” Oogway smiled and nodded “Yes, I see your travels have taught you well” A flash of her evil self taunted her in her memories. She debated on whether or not to tell Grandpa Oogway but decided against it, she had just returned home and for once had a pleasant conversation with her grandfather after many years, certain news can wait until later.

Mei was once again lost in thought, Oogway caught onto his granddaughter's silence and spoke up breaking her train of thought “We do have one more family member among us” this caught Mei’s attention “Who is it?” Oogway remained silent for a moment but then spoke in a tone of voice Mei couldn’t decipher “You will know soon enough” from those words Mei felt anxious from what she could catch from Oogway’s tone she had a feeling she would not like what was going to be revealed to her “Grandfather…” knowing this was a very touchy subject he gave her a sincere look “I understand it has been hard for you, but you must understand everyone has a role to play. It may not be the one you wanted, the one you hoped for, the one you wished for, or the one you dreamt of, but it is important nonetheless. Trust in my judgment, trust in yourself…and all will become clear.” Mei’s chest felt heavy as there was an unspoken confession he had just revealed to her. He had chosen The Dragon Warrior. Rage, sadness, and disappointment flowed through her like a wave crashing against itself, Oogway could see her emotions running rampant in her eyes even if on the outside she remained calm. Mei’s breathing was subtle but heavy, she didn’t know whether to scream from sheer anger, or cry from the deep disappointment or both. It was as if all the work she did on herself while she was gone meant nothing in that moment and all her progress was undone in a matter of seconds.