Chapter 1

Kierra 

“Come on, come on, come on, I do not need this right now,” I grumbled impatiently to myself, honking my horn at the line of cars in front of me, hoping that would make the traffic pick up but instead it seemingly made it come to a complete stop

“Come on, come on, come on, I do not need this right now,” I grumbled impatiently to myself, honking my horn at the line of cars in front of me, hoping that would make the traffic pick up but instead it seemingly made it come to a complete stop. I groaned loudly as I threw a tantrum in my seat, my face contouring into a deep from, “She is so going to fire me,” I whined as I fell back into my seat, shaking my head dejectedly. The day has barely started and it’s already turning into one of the shittiest days ever. 

It all started when I woke up this morning. I overslept, because for some reason my alarm went off, but it didn’t alarm me. The only reason I know it did go off was because it was snoozed for thirty minutes after it originally went off, which meant it went off six times and I missed every one. Damn, what did I do last night that made me sleep through six alarms?! The only reason I did wake up was because in my subconscious I felt like I had been asleep for too long.

Unfortunately I was right. 

I quickly hopped up and got dressed as fast as I could; thankfully I laid everything out the night before, a trick I picked up very early working for my devil of a boss. I swear, the devil works hard, but that’s only because he’s trying to keep up with her. To be honest, I don’t even know why I still put up with her or work for her, I guess after a while I just got used to it. Not to mention, the job pays very well, the benefits are even better, and working for her isn’t as bad as it would be if I was still at home, being the daughter my parents desperately want me to be, right next to them in the ministry, but I just can’t seem to get them to understand… their ministry is just not my ministry. That is not what I want to do with my life. I have my own hopes and dreams and none of them have anything to do with the church, unlike my parent’s dream for me. 

I want to sing R&B and manage other artists, and the job I have now is gonna help me get to where I want to go. Working as the executive assistant to the CEO of one of the biggest black owned record labels is putting me front and center to the life I want for myself, teaching me all the ins and outs, the dos and don’ts, and it has definitely shown me the real from the fake, and boy you would be amazed at who’s really real and who’s actually fake. 

Even though I’ve never outright told my boss my goals, I know she knows, at least the management aspect; she knows literally everything, it’s like she knows your thoughts before you think them. Although, she’s never heard me sing and I’ve never told her that particular dream of mine, that’s a huge no no in this business, because it tells the other person you’re just looking for a come up and will get it by any means necessary. 

It’s so weird, but that’s probably why she’s so successful, she’s smarter than Einstein and she’s always three steps ahead. Like I said, she gives the devil a run for his money. And yes, the devil. There’s nothing angelic about her, at least that I’ve seen, and if she does actually have a heart I bet it’s frozen solid, pumping ice cold blood through her veins. That would explain why she’s so damn cold blooded.