Chapter 5

Damn, I haven’t updated since November? My bad y’all, 2022 was not my year, grief had the meanest chokehold on me, but I’m slowly coming back to myself. I apologize for the wait, if you have to reread the story to understand this chapter, I understand. Enjoy the update!

Kierra

After getting myself cleaned up and dressed, I sighed deeply to myself as I prepared to face my bos- my fian- Beyoncé. She wasn’t my boss anymore and it didn’t feel right calling her my fiance just yet. Hell, I only felt most comfortable calling her Boss Lady and she didn’t want me calling her that anymore but you know what? That’s just too damn bad, she’s just going to have to get used to it. I opened the door to my bathroom to find my bedroom empty, making me let out a sigh of relief. She only scared me like that once but I think I’m traumatized now. Can’t keep any doors closed around her now.

I walked out of my bedroom and down the hall into the living room where I found her sitting on the couch waiting patiently for me. She looked up once she heard me walk in, “There you are, I thought I was going to have to go back there and get you,” she said with a smirk. Her eyes followed my every move as I walked over to the love seat and sat down, making her frown, “Why are you sitting all the way over there, there’s plenty of room over here on the couch. You can sit next to me Ki, I don’t bite,” she said in a teasing manner. 

I gave her a raised look, “After what just happened in my bedroom, the lie detector determined, that was a lie,” I retorted and we both laughed. 

She pouted playfully, “Pleaseee come sit next to me Ki, it’s so cold and lonely without you,” she begged dramatically, making grabby hands at me. I rolled my eyes at her antics as I got up and went over to the couch, grabbing the big pillow on the end and hugging it to me while also creating a barrier between us. It was her turn to roll her eyes as she gave me an unamused look, “Stop playing before I get naked and straddle you,” she threatened, and my eyes widened in shock before I quickly moved the pillow back to where it was. Knowing her, she’d probably still do it just to fuck with me. 

“Yeah I’m definitely gonna break you out of this shell you’ve suddenly put yourself in, cause this ain’t it. You acting like I’m Ike Turner and I’m about to make you eat the cake or something,” she said and that actually made me laugh. A look of relief washed over her face at my reaction before laughing as well, “See, that’s better. Loosen up, laugh, relax. This is the Kierra I’ve been looking for, hey girl!” she greeted like we were the best of friends. 

I playfully rolled my eyes, but my smile remained nonetheless. I liked this side of Boss Lady, all joking and playful. Maybe she does have the sense of humor she claims to have, I thought to myself. I couldn’t even lie, it was really helping her, but it was helping me even more. I was actually loosening up and dare I say starting to feel comfortable around her, “Yeah ok, whatever,” I said with attitude as I sat back on the sofa, and her grin grew even wider. 

“Even better! This is the you that I’m used. Fiesty, I like that,” she said with a wink. Suddenly she turned serious, “But on a serious note, we really need to come up with a game plan if we’re going to pull off being a believable couple. Now I know this is insane and we got off to a very rocky start, but I really believe we have what it takes to do this and not only make it look real, but maybe…hopefully…eventually be real,” she said the last part with nervous optimism. 

I pondered her words for a second before shrugging in agreement, “Ehh, maybe so, who knows? Only time will tell,” I replied and she seemed satisfied by that response, “And I agree, we do, but cut me some slack here, stuff like this has never happened to me before. I’ve never been engaged, and to a woman at that! This whole ordeal has just thrown me into a completely new world that I’ve never known and I can’t even try to fake it till I make like I usually do. This situation is literally forcing me to act on my feelings because everything is taking me by surprise and not giving me room to process and react logically,” I explained.