Chapter 4 (Tension)

Chapter 4: Tension

Ethan Warren

Estimated, February 2025

About 33 months after outbreak

California, The Circus

Season 4

------------------------------------------

Timothy didn't even try to justify it as an accident. He acted as if he felt terrible but none of us cared how he felt, we were all just worried about Airianna, waiting at the edge of our seats to hear if she's okay.

Evelyn told us that she wasn't dead but that didn't really make it much better, she was still noncontinuous and we didn't know if she'd ever wake up. I wanted to kill Timothy even more now but I didn't want something else to go wrong. What if all of us were next?

They didn't leave, Timothy claimed he felt the need to apologies to Airianna or at least to Rudi but I know he was just being an ass. Neither one of them would ever except their apology so what was the point? The point was that Timothy was trying to prove that he was the treat. He had the people, he had the resources, we didn't, we were sitting ducks. There was nothing we could do now so our best bet was to try to wait it out. I don't know if I really believe that would work but it was the only option I had then.

I tried to get used to the fact that he sat across the table from me with a machine gun pointed at my face. I tried to not slit his throat right there and then. I tried not to make a scene but what about this guy did I have to like? He almost killed one of my best friend's daughters, there's no coming back from something like that. It was a grudge I would hold for the rest of my life.

If Airianna did die because of this asshole than I would do whatever I could to make him pay. He wouldn't get the treatment that Aiden got, he'd be shot on sight. I wouldn't even care what happens to me afterwards as long as his body burned. Family was all I had now and I was done tolerating people who keep taking that from me.

---

"Pretty place you got here, Ethan. Did Tommy tell you what happened here?"

"Yeah, he told me about your wife."

"Did he tell you about the others?" He smiled knowing that he hadn't spoken to me about any others.

"What others?"

"Let me see, Thomas, what did happen to the others?" His face was hypnotizing in the worst way possible, "Diego, Zach, Abby? What happened to them Tom, do you even remember?"

Thomas face looked sick and Timothy crossed his arms waiting for an answer. I admit I wanted to know but I also didn't want to see a grown man cry.

"You killed them! He killed them! Shot 'em all at once and left their bodies to rot! I'm glad you're the new man with a plan, Ethan, God knows this dick isn't worth shit," he yelled as he hit his hands down onto the table and left with a heavy walk. I left calmly after, I didn't want to deal with Thomas feeling guilt or embarrassed, it was always kinda annoying. I hated the secrets that Thomas kept. I wasn't really sure if I could believe Timothy either but I chose to, I don't know why. He didn't have anything against me it was all about Thomas. He just wanted revenge for his dead wife but that would cost another man's life. Maybe I should have just turned Thomas over to him, maybe it would have stopped if I did. What was one man's life worth if losing it could save hundreds. We could risk it but what would be the cost if it wasn't enough for him?