Chapter 16 (You got what you wanted)

Chapter 16: You got what you wanted

Ethan Warren

Estimated, August 2025

About 39 months after outbreak

California, Home

Season 4

-----------------------------------------

We tried to fall back but it didn't work. Eventually they would breach the gate and it would be all over. Most people took shelter inside the homes, others stayed and fought even though I urged them not to. I didn't want to see everyone die, I didn't want to bury my family, and I also didn't want them to bury me. I stayed in the front lines with noting but an assault rifle and a pistol, and the rifle was out. I don't think I was waiting for a bullet to hit me, I just think that I didn't know where else to be.

"Just give us the man and we'll leave, Ethan!" I heard Timothy yell from the crowd. So much of me wanted to give in but the rest of me just couldn't. Leah fought besides me, I knew she wanted Timothy gone probably more than I did, but I also know she'll never forgive me for all the pain I've caused because at the end of the day, this isn't my fault but I didn't solve it so it kinda is now.

The dead ran at us, pulling our attention away from what was really important. I didn't even notice at the time but Tai had been on top of one of the house. She thought it would be safer up there and easier to get a few shots in but she was wrong. It made her a target and the next thing I knew was that her body was falling from the sky, bleeding from the chest as it landed right in front of my feet. I stared at it in horror as the dead began to feast, I backed away slowly so I wouldn't become next. Leah saw it too but she shook it off easier, I tried but I still can't get the sight out of my eyes.

I heard Timothy laughing from a distance and I felt my face go pale as he stepped in front of his people. Thomas was besides me now, I could tell he wanted to run as much as I did but we both didn't budge, we had to end this.

Timothy raised his gun with a very angry look in his eyes. He shot Thomas in the leg and he fell besides me and yelled in pain. I wanted to help him but arms pulled me away, dropped my pistol, kicked it away, and pushed me onto my knees. I saw Leah watch from a distance but she had people to kill so she couldn't come to help.

"Back off Ethan, this isn't about you, don't make it be." I tried to fight off whoever was holding me but I was unsuccessful. Leah glanced back at me and shook her head with a confused look on her face. I don't know what I honestly wanted her to do I just wanted something to happen. Tim pulled Thomas from the floor by his chin with a tight grip and took out his knife and held it to his throat. Thomas gritted his teeth as he waited for death but it was slow and vengeful. I could tell he wanted to fight back, he was doing everything in his power not to.

"Why'd you do it?" Timothy asked.

"You know I didn't want to. It was a mistake."

"But you did it anyways. You killed that sweet, innocent woman, my wife, the mother of my son! For no reason."

"Your people were killing my people in the streets, your wife just got in the way. It wasn't personal, Tim. I didn't want it to come to that! She was a friend of mine, Anthony's too."

"It was fucking personal to me! We were friends Tom, what the hell happened?" Timothy yelled, tears running down his face.

"People died and we grew up, but I am sorry Tim," Thomas started to cry too but it didn't mean the same thing, that's why it hurt so much.

"Sorry's not good enough." Timothy ran the blade across Thomas' throat never breaking eye contact as he did. "But I am sorry too."