Chapter 11 (West Coast)

Chapter 11: West Coast

Ethan Warren

Estimated, July 2025

About 38 months after outbreak

California, The Coast

Season 4

------------------------------------------------

"Ethan?" I heard Khai asked as she came to sit with me on the rocks near the sand. Benny greeted me with barks of joy as he guided her and made sure she didn't fall. I helped her take a seat and we just stared at the ocean together. It was peaceful that day, probably the most peaceful it's ever been. Just staring off into the horizon like that, it was something you could get lost in.

"You gotta do what's right, for all of us. These people, they may not act like it but they need you. You got us here, you've kept us together even if it's not all of us anymore it's still us. " She didn't look at me as she talked and for some reason that made it mean more. "They need hope, you need hope. It's not your fault that it's unable to find. I know you need a break, you need someone to guild you but that can't happen until you're there for them."

"I'm trying, Khai," I heard my voice begin to break as my emotions tried to take over. I wanted a break, I needed a break. I wanted peace, I needed hope. But so did everyone else and right now they were counting on me for that. I wasn't a leader to be proud of but I was a leader nonetheless.

"I know you are, you just can't give up." She held my hand as a tear fell from my eye. All I wanted was for someone to open my eyes like that but I wanted them to be able to stay open. I wanted to be able to be someone for my community because that was what had to happen.

It was easier to be able to be there for the group we had in the beginning. We shared a bond that only broke through death, now I had to start over which was easier said than done. I didn't want to start over, maybe that was why I dreaded rebuilding society now.

We were going to find a new home, I was going to make sure of it. I would never stop until I did, that is a promise I was confident enough to make. As long as these people had a desire to be safe than that was all we needed. I hated having this positive feeling because I knew how easily it can go away but this time it felt real, I felt real.

---

We walked along the coast with sand on every inch of our bodies. The dead rose from the ocean and followed behind us like a parade. We were tired, some of us were sick, we were hungry, and we needed to fix that. I needed to fix that. After everything I've done to these people, to my family, this was the least I could do. Standing in front of that group with Khai and Steve by my side, it helped my eyes stay open. We could find something this way as long as I didn't go and mess it all up again.