seven - how are the odds?

— GWYNETH —

— GWYNETH 

EUNICE AND I EXIT and find a seat backstage. The blinding lights shine on again as Charlotte walks up on stage, wearing a bright orange puffy-sleeved dress. 

"Welcome, welcome, welcome! Time flies, doesn't it?" The interviewer questions, taking a glance at Charlotte, who's just taken a seat on the couch. "How do you feel now, compared to when you were reaped?" 

"Well, uh, obviously," Charlotte starts, "I definitely didn't expect my name to be picked from the glass bowl. When my name was called, all I could feel was shock, running through my body." She gives a faint smile, pausing for a short while.

"However, I quickly adapted and worked hard training, and I'm sure I'll do well in the arena and come back to my family and friends," she says, leaning forward and placing a hand on her knee.

The interviewer continues. "So, Charlotte, mind telling us what weapons you want? You got a 10 in training, the highest of all! What do you think the odds of you winning are?" Charlotte pauses, thinking it through before answering.

Charlotte puts on a dazzling smile. "I think you know what I want," she says, showing her arm. She looks into the camera and straight into my eyes. Of course I know. I've seen her practicing. She's the best at her weapon, although she is pretty good at mine too. 

Her menacing smirk sends chills through my body. Does she want to play games with me? Does she want to take my knives and leave me helpless? I think of all sorts of possibilities, and zone out as her interview continues. I sit there, confused as to what had just happened. Did Charlotte Levine hear my thoughts? Is she able to read my mind? Does Charlotte want to pick a fight with me?

My mind races at a million miles an hour, thinking about what might happen in the arena, ways to defend myself against her, while at the same time trying to come up with a way to sneak out before she has a chance to attack me. I zone out, thinking of so many different things.

BUZZ! 

A buzzer goes off, bringing me back to my attention.

"Well, that's about time for our last tribute Charlotte Levine! Stay tuned for all the upcoming events starting tomorrow, as the potential victor of these games is among these twenty-four! Good luck tributes, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

I can't help but let out a scoff. 

Life is never fair, and the odds are never in your favor. Especially for something as cruel as the Hunger Games. 

The victor, the only person who's getting out of here alive, kill, kill, and kill so many people to ultimately outlive the other 23, but in reality, it must be a fate worse than death. 

Watching everyone die, blood on their hands. They're haunted by the ghosts of broken families, crying and pleading children, and seeing their lives, all they've ever lived for, fading away right before their own eyes. 

Deep inside, they lose their innocence. The last piece of childhood they tried so hard to hold on to, would be taken away, snatched from them, from no other than Byrok again. 

Byrok thinks the victor owes them everything, that they made their life as a surviving victor better, but in reality, they are the people that took everything away from them.

Living the life they have now, is something the victor has to fight for, but they won't return to the same thing. They want something better, a life worth living. They want to live long lives full of love and laughter, but after going through so much in the arena and killing people... I'm not so sure that could even be a reality for the Victor anymore.

Byrok. They are the people who forcefully separated the victor from their family, the people who caused their last piece of childhood to fade away, into the darkness. They are the people who ruined our lives in the first place. 

I want out. I deserve more than that. And I know I can make it if I just keep my hopes up.

I'm determined to get out of this alive and show Byrok that I'm no longer controllable. Not just a piece in their Games.