chapter one

bruce sits down at a table with his laptop. he sets it on the table, slouching down in the booth. he had an unreasonable amount of homework — in his opinion. but, he was also doing stuff that wasn't due for another two weeks. he was absolutely terrified of falling behind, though. he opens his laptop and pulls up his work. one of the workers comes over and sets the coffee he'd ordered down on the table. "thank you." bruce offers a smile, the employee nods and then walks away. bruce picks up the coffee and takes a drink before he starts on his schoolwork. he gets pretty into it, although he glances around the room every now and then. he starts to look up again, when a stranger catches his eyes. he looked — different, than most of the other people there. he had long curly hair and he was dressed in a black t-shirt, some band he couldn't name. he had a denim vest on over it. he had black jeans that were very ripped, bruce didn't see the point in those. wouldnt his legs get cold? he realizes he'd been staring for too long when the stranger looks back at him and meets his gaze.
   blush spreads across bruce's face and he looks away quickly, back to his schoolwork. shit. he thinks, god he needed to work on his staring problem. it didn't matter if it was pretty stranger — pretty? he clears his throat, do not fall for strangers, bruce. before he knew it, the stranger approached him. "hey." bruce looks up. "oh. uhm, hi." whats your name? i'd really like to know some more about you. he could've said, but he just stops at hi. he just stares at the stranger, and he earns a grin. "i'm vance, what's your name?" bruce could already feel his stomach doing flip-flops. god, what is wrong with him? "bruce." he says. the guy — vance — smiles. "mind if i take a seat?"
    "i don't mind," bruce offers a smile back. "cool, cool." vance slides in across from him. "what are you doing?" he tries to peer at the laptop, but bruce pushes his face away. "schoolwork, for college." vance seems to almost brighten up at that. "do you go to college around here? what school?"
     "CSU." he replies with a hum. "no way! i got there too." vance grins. "i've never seen you around." bruce looks up from his laptop again. "i've never seen you either, maybe we have different classes?" vance nods slowly. "maybe. what classes do you take?" vance starts listing off his classes and, to bruce's surprise, they have all but one class together. "huh, we have almost the exact same schedule." bruce says thoughtfully. "i guess it was just destiny that we met, huh?" vance chuckles, and bruce rolls his eyes. "maybe. or maybe we hadn't met until now because it's n-" vance puts a hand over bruce's mouth. "sh, don't say it." he frowns. "it's destiny." he grins. bruce rolls his eyes again, and vance slowly moves his hand away. "fine, it's destiny." vance's grin grows. "great! so you should give me your number." he says with a wink. bruce shoots him a glare, but yet he finds himself pulling his phone out to give him his number.
so there he was, giving his number out to some stranger, and he couldn't explain why. he felt drawn, he supposes. maybe he was just desperate for a friend, he wasn't exactly sure.
——————————————————
word count: 617
chapter one of new book, yay
sorry if this feels like it's moving too fast, i'm trying to make it more like the song than the last one was :)