chapter eight

bruce was on his way to the field, he was more excited than he usually was. although, he was also pretty nervous — vance was the cause of both of those emotions, of course. bruce really wanted to impress vance. he walks over to his couch and asks him what to do first which was, of course, running laps around the field. he kept checking the stands for vance, although he wasn't there yet. of course he wasn't, bruce thought to himself, it was only practice. surely he'd be there once the game started, right?
    despite bruce reasoning with himself, he couldn't get rid of the sinking feeling he had. he tries to focus on practice, he needed to have his head in the game. he didn't want to be the reason they lost. they only practiced for about ten minutes before the other team showed up. bruce didnt stop scanning the bleachers, but to his disappointment, vance wasn't there. maybe he was just running behind? surely. he wouldn't miss bruce's game. unless something came up? that thought kinda hurt bruce, he couldn't lie. he knew it wouldn't be vance's fault if he got busy, but he was still disappointed. he tries to keep his hopes up, but as the game progresses and vance doesnt show up, he gives up. he needed to focus now. the coach had already yelled at him repeatedly telling him to get his head in the game.
————————————
bruce's team ends up winning the game. he knows he should be happy, but he wasn't. he was disappointed. vance never showed. the rest of his team was going out to celebrate, but bruce couldnt bring himself to come along. he had texted vance several times and gotten no reply. he decides to just head back to his dorm, maybe sleep it off. was it stupid to think vance would come? was it stupid to think vance liked him? of course it was. bruce clenched his hands into fists. why was he so fucking stupid? of course vance didnt like him. why would he? tears prick at his eyes. vance was the prettiest boy in school, he could have anyone, why would he want bruce? he probably already moved on.
    bruce decided he was going to take the back door to get back into the building — he didn't want to people to see him upset. unluckily for him, there was a group of people — maybe three or four — right beside the door. he was too upset to deal with this, he starts to walk away, until he noticed a familiar person in the middle. vance. his eyes widen, he looked pretty hurt. he hurries over to the group. "hey! go away, or i'll get a teacher!" it was really his only threat, he couldn't fight for shit. one of the three looks at him, rolling his eyes. "whatever, we were done anyways." one of them kicks vance one last time before they head off. bruce quickly kneels down next to vance, he couldn't tell if he was awake or not.
    "oh, jesus—" he put his hand on vance's cheek and vance winced, his eyes fluttering open. "thank god—" bruce wraps his arms around him, pulling him in for a hug. "ow." vance manages out, it was quiet — practically a huff — but bruce caught it. "sorry, sorry," he lets go, debating on how he was going to get vance inside. he definitely couldn't carry him. vance tilts his head to look at bruce, wincing again as he did so. "i'm-" he inhales. "i'm sorry i missed your game."
   bruce shakes his head. "no, no. this clearly isn't your fault." he slings vance's arm over his shoulder. "this is what i meant, by one of these days you're going to get yourself into more than you can handle." bruce says softly, pulling vance up with him. "do you really have to lecture me right now?" vance sighs, leaning against bruce. "yes." that earns a small chuckle from vance — he was glad to hear that. "let's get you to my dorm, okay?" vance nods weakly in reply.
——————————————————
word count: 705
SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER 😔
taking my sadness out on yall with a lil bit of angst fr /j 😞