Epilogue

Five Years Later

Ayla

My fingers faltered over the keyboard when I caught the white figure peeking through the shelves from the corner of my eye.

I suppress a smile and continue typing.

The soft footfalls echoed in the quiet room as the figure drifted through a different spot, effectively hiding behind the stacks of books before stopping once again.

I stopped typing, gasped loudly, "Oh no, is there a ghost in here?" I try my best to sound horrified.

The hysterical giggling is enough to give him away, though. I caught him ducked his head and I swiftly abandoned my spot before crawling quietly towards him. He was on his knees with his back to me, giggling to himself as his little hands hold the white sheet tightly over his small frame.

In one swift movement, I wrap him up tight and roar like a lion. "Got cha!"

Jax squeals, his laughters shattering the silence before jumping into my arms.

Spotting something on his hands, I double take and choke a laugh in my throat before I ask, "Sweetie, what happened to you hands?"

There were tracks of dirt and soil in his nails, and arms. Looking up, he smiles, and I catch my second laugh at the gap made by the missing top two front teeth.

I know he's my child but, by God, he is adorable.

He digs through his small crossbody bag and pulls out a bunch of deformed orange tulips. "I got you flowers, Mommy."

My heart warms and I hug him again and rock him, placing kisses on his forehead. "It's beautiful. Thank you."

"You're welcome." He points to my laptop and asks, "Are you done working?"

I glanced back at the table where I've been working on my next book. I just started last week and it was so good to be working again. I mean, it didn't paid much, but it was still something I was passionate about.

"Yeah. What do you want to do?" I rise from my feet and clasp his hand with mine.

"I have a mission." he proudly announced. "Daddy told me to pick you up." He tugs on my hand and I followed him obediently.

"What do you mean?" I asked, frowning.

We entered the bedroom and he points at the bed where a box wrapped in gold ribbon was laying on top. "C'mon, Mommy. You need to change."

I untied the ribbon and open the box to reveal a gorgeous champagne dress with heart neckline. My mouth quirk in amusement. "Jax, can you tell me what's going on?"

Jax was a smart boy. He was only four and a half years old but knew the value of a secret. So when he grins at me, his sparkling green eyes twinkling in delight, I knew he's not going to tell on his father.

"It's a surprise."

My goodness he look so much like Kade it's scary.

Same looks. Same attitude. Same everything.
Sometimes I wonder if this kid is even a little bit mine.

Being able to survive from the brink of death five years ago was so terrifying, but when I look at my son, I couldn't picture my life without him. He's completely worth it. He and Kade means everything to me.

Placing one last kiss on his head, I tell him, "Okay, fine. But we need to wash your hands first."

He reluctantly agree as I pulled him towards the bathroom where I make him sit on top of the sink and proceed to wash his hands.