Chapter Nine

Shehnaaz knocked on the door of Sidharth's study, attracting the attention of its occupants, who stood up from their respective places, whether it was out of respect, or their need to keep the nature of their conversation private, she didn't know, neither did she care. She was okay with being a passive part of the mafia, as long as she knew the people she cared about were keeping safe.

Her husband was sitting across from everyone in the leather chair, a charming smirk ever-present on his lips had now melted into a grin that Shehnaaz had come to realize was only hers to see. He was the only one who was still sitting, playing with a paperweight.

"What brings you here, my queen?" Sidharth asked with an enticing husk in his voice. It made a shiver run down her spine, as his eyes glistened softly.

"Is something important going on?" She asked curiously.

"You're not interrupting anything, my love." Sidharth assured her. "The boys understand. Don't you, boys?"

The boys were quick to nod their agreement

Nothing important was going on, then.

Shehnaaz chuckled, "Of course they do."

Sidharth smiled at her, curious now. "Were you missing me, Naaz?" He asked, almost blatantly teasing.

"I am not going to say yes now, am I?" Shehnaaz raised her eyebrow at him in response to his question.

"Fair enough." Sidharth sighed.

Shehnaaz chuckled quietly, "It's past dinner time. Were any of you aware of that?" She asked curiously.

"Now we are." Sidharth responded.

Shehnaaz rolled her eyes, "Out of the study and into the dining area in five minutes." Shehnaaz said sternly. "Warna kisi ko dessert nahi milega aaj."

Sidharth gasped like a child, "Itni badi sazaa?"

"Five minutes, or no dessert!" Shehnaaz warned before walking away. In the study, Sidharth shared a quick alarmed glance with the boys and they filed out of the room urgently knowing that Shehnaaz was fully capable of acting on her threat.

It had been a year since Sidharth had brought Shehnaaz home, after marrying her in a quick yet grand ceremony. They had celebrated their anniversary only a few days ago.

Sidharth had realized that his queen was not one for extravagant gestures. One rose. One chocolate. One simple yellow dress made her day brighten a thousand times. It made Sidharth fall in love, a little deeper.

Oh what a year it was, a roller-coaster ride of emotions. A wild ride indeed.

Their relationship had grown leaps and bounds in the last few months. At times, Sidharth would catch his Naaz watching him the way he looked at her, a moment too long, lost in a train of thought that definitely wasn't supposed to be there. Not yet.

Sidharth's heart would skip a beat, every time she blushed, looking away from him after she was caught.

He was her husband, she was allowed to stare as much as she needed and she did because why won't she?

Her husband was hot. Even if she wasn't yet sure of the depth of her true feelings for him, she knew she was at the very least crushing on Sidharth. She was allowed to ogle.

Sometimes, Sidharth would raise his eyebrow with a soft, teasing smirk on his face.

Sometimes he'd allow him to look at him, stare— ogle whatever you want to call it. He had given her time, any time and anyway she needed, so he'd give her time now, to realise the workings of her own heart, decipher every beat, tug at every heartstring she could hear.