Chapter Eleven

Shehnaaz was sitting in the garden of the mansion, staring into the sky with a small smile on her face. Sidharth was on an overnight trip with almost half his team accompanying him. Minus Rehaan who had broken his foot after a heated yet friendly sparring session two and half weeks ago.

Sidharth had laughed at him limping around the house on one foot like brothers do and then ordered him to give himself a few days off to recover. The two weeks that had passed since Rehaan's injury were rather busy as Sidharth had to work twice as much as he did before. Rehaan was, in the literal sense of the word, the devil's right hand. His being on vacation meant overtime work for everyone else.

Thus, Shehnaaz had barely seen her husband twice for more than a week. She was not complaining, but she did miss Sidharth. It had been a while since they had spent a few minutes of peace together.

"Missing Sidharth?" She heard Rehaan's soft voice as he sat himself across from her on the chair and she nodded.

Rehaan smiled. "Khud se bhi pehli baar bol rahi ho na?"

"Shayad." She mumbled, slightly flushed.

"It's okay, Shehnaaz. Pati hai tumhaara, you are allowed to miss him, think of him.. even love him."

She blushed slightly, looking away from him. "Maybe I do." She thought to herself.

Rehaan nodded to himself, having read her eyes. Finally, they didn't need a cupid anymore.

"What are you doing here?" Shehnaaz asked. "Rest kar jaake."

"Mere doctor ne bola hai I'm clear to resume my normal routine." He informed Shehnaaz. "I think another week of normal activity and I can relieve your husband of his workload."

Shehnaaz sighed, "Not that I won't be happy about it but you do need to take care of yourself. I mean— Sidharth is doing fine."

Rehaan dismissed her with a click of his tongue. "He's working himself to the bone." He retorted.

Shehnaaz chuckled in agreement. "I guess."

The next few minutes, the two friends sat together in silence. The night air was getting chiller and chiller. Shehnaaz pulled her shawl closer, curling into herself.

"You okay?" Rehaan asked kindly.

Shehnaaz nodded. "A little cold. It's a good kind of chill though."

"It's Sidharth's birthday next week." Shehnaaz exclaimed quietly.

Rehaan smiled, "You remember."

"Of course, I do." She chirped. "I hope he'll be home that day."

Shehnaaz looked hopeful, causing Rehaan to smile affectionately at her. "I'll make sure of that." He promised.

Shehnaaz grinned, "Thank you."

"Always at your service, my queen." Rehaan said sincerely.

Shehnaaz felt a rush of gratitude for him overwhelming her. She knew Sidharth's & his boys' unwavering loyalty towards her. She knew they respected her, she knew Sidharth loved her but it was Rehaan who truly understood her when she didn't even expect anything from any of them. It was Rehaan who had acted as a bridge between her and Sidharth in the initial few months of their bumpy and sudden marriage.

Rehaan knew his king's heart, he also knew the queen's turmoil. Rehaan had been her husband's voice of reason long before she came along, and continued long after. It was his words that had comforted her, his friendship that soothed her broken heart. He was fiercely protective of his king, his best-friend but that protectiveness had never made him mean towards her even when she was. She was grateful for that. She will always be.