3. One year After that Weekend

Komal

"So umm...have you heard about anything happening in Karachi?", my twin brother asked on the video call, acting all nonchalant as if I didn't know him any better.

Karachi, the financial hub of the country, is also known as the city of light. Though strife with many issues, the city of 20 million people was as vibrant a city as any other large metropolitan, and at any given moment there was a lot happening in Karachi.

None of that was of interest to Kamran though. I knew that in his heart he only yearned for one resident of that city, and I could only imagine how much he must have wished that he was with her instead of thousands of miles away.

But what kind of a sister would I be if I didn't use that opportunity to tease my brother?

"Well, the Karachi Literary Festival is coming up. And then after that I think several of the Pakistan Super League cricket matches are being held there...oh, and I almost forgot. There is also a regional textile export convention happening in the next couple of weeks"

He scrunched his face and rolled his eyes, as I laughed and he claimed that I was the worst sister ever.

"I think what he actually wants to know is if Farah bhabi is about to become someone else's bhabi or not", a deep, almost husky voice spoke out.

And then a man came on to the screen, pushing my brother out of the way. His wavy hair and scruffy beard framed a perfectly chiseled face, and his eyes brightened as he spoke up again.

"Aap iss ki please shaadi karwa dein. Warna yeh Farah ki yaad mein Grey's Anatomy ke reruns dekhta rahe ga aur mein pagal ho jaoun ga", the man laughed and then disappeared off my phone's screen as Kamran pushed him back. (Please get him married off. Otherwise, he will keep watching reruns of Grey's Anatomy in memory of Farah and I will go mad)

"That is not why I watch that show...", Kamran protested, "I actually find it interesting and I've learnt a lot from it"

"Yeah, right. The only thing I have learnt from it is that you should never marry a doctor", the man's voice came again from the background.

Good thing I am not a doctor then

That thought almost made me choke on the gum I was chewing.

What the hell is wrong with me?

I knew who that man was. Kamran had often talked about his roommate Safdar. And I had no shame in admitting that the guy had always intrigued me, especially after he took off their roommate's door. He seemed like the kind of person who took life by the horns, and had a kind of no-nonsense humor that most people would find rude and irritating, but I found fascinating.

I just hadn't expected him to be so good-looking.

"Komal?", Kamran's voice made me look at my phone again.

"Yes?"

"I was just saying that I have booked my tickets for next month. Tell Ami and others to send me the list of things they need from here asap", and of course he had to add, "And you can keep your list to yourself. I am not getting anything for you" as he stuck his tongue out at me.

Next month was Akbar Bhai's wedding. He was our eldest brother, 4 years older than Kamran and I, and was getting married to our father's friend's daughter through an arranged marriage. Unfortunately, those dates happened to fall in the week that Farah had her end-of-year exams. And while I had successfully lobbied to invite her family for the wedding, I couldn't do anything about the unfortunate coincidence. Her parents too had regretfully excused themselves, not wanting to be in a different city for a far away relative's son's wedding when their daughter was taking her first real medical exams.