20. The Wedding

Farah

"The Qari is here", Ameerah declared, as she and my mother came to escort me down to the living room, while Kamran's side of the family were outside in the garden where the main reception would be held.

Abu, Zaviyar, Nano and Aunts and Uncles were already in the living room. And as I entered, I heard more duas being said for me, along with comments about how pretty I looked as a bride. Which was good to hear, because having stayed up all night and only getting one hour of sleep midday I felt like I was post-call, both physically and mentally. Just in a fancy dress and under layers of makeup.

I hope Kamran thinks I look pretty too, I knew he wasn't marrying me for my looks, but a girl could hope, right?

Abu was going to be my witness, and with the papers in hand that would seal my fate forever with the man I loved so, so dearly, he sat down next to me.

"Farah, do you accept Kamran Tanvir as your husband for the said amount of Mehar", he asked me gently.

"I do...I accept...I mean Qabool hai", I replied, my tired brain getting flustered for some reason.

I looked around me at the amused faces, "I am sorry. I..I forgot what I am supposed to say, but I want only Kamran Tanvir as my husband"

Abu laughed, "We get it beta. You can say whatever you want, there is no one way of accepting a man as your husband"

"And we'll make sure you get only Kamran bhai as your husband", Ameerah grinned.

When the giggles died down, even though the heat of my flushed cheeks didn't, Abu asked me the same question two more times. And this time, I dutifully nodded and said , "Qabool hai"

With that I was left alone in the living room and everyone headed out to repeat the same procedure with Kamran and the Qari. Soon, though they were back and Ami and the Aunties all hugged me. Abu and the Uncles patted my head.

And then I took a deep breath.

It was time.

To meet my husband.

"Farah, beta walk slowly with your father and brother, lower your gaze and smile a little bit less. Like an actual bride, ok?", Ami said to me, probably because I was the first one standing at the door ready to step out into our garden on my own if no one hurried up.

"Ji Ami", I told her.

Though, how does one become less happy at an event they've waited eons for? I honestly tried as I stepped out onto the red carpet that was laid down along a pathway between our front door and the small makeshift stage that stood at one end of the rectangular shaped grassy area. For a second I got distracted by how different my garden I grew up in looked with all the fairy lights, fancy chairs and tables and the dressed up people with smiles on their faces.

But then I heard Zaviyar say, "Kamran bhai is really going to get a bug in his mouth one of these days"

And my resolve to follow Ami's instruction completely broke down. I looked up to see him, and had to blink at the vision in front of me, making sure it was real.

He stood on the stage, dressed in a cream white sherwani, tall and well-built, his full lips parted, his heated unwavering gaze on me, capturing me as it always did, drawing me closer and closer till I was looking straight into his warm, brown eyes behind those stylish black rimmed glasses.

"Assalama Alaikum", he whispered.

"Wa-walaikum Asalam", I stuttered.

The stage was only a small step up but he held out his hand anyway and I gleefully took it, trying to hide the way my skin electrified at his touch.