Chapter 7

Minute by minute passes and with bated breath I stand alone in my bedroom.

I peek into my mirror at the gold lingerie Leeza had helped me into before Mom hugged me goodbye to leave me to my fate.

Here I am, offered up like a sacrifice to Alvar by my mother and everyone here.

My cheeks redden.

And they expect me to obediently perform my duty in consummating the marriage.

The lingerie is crafted from a silky fabric with gold sewn into cups that shape a surprising amount of cleavage from my small breasts.

I'm self conscious in these clothes as it bares most of my skin to view, but I hadn't refused to wear it over fear of not seeming authentically Alvar's bride.

Can't believe Alvar will see me in this.

The door to my bedroom opens and my breath leaves me.

I begin to shake uncontrollably.

It's him. King Alvar. The man whose eyes glimmer red, who is much larger than I, and looks as if he could kick the ass of any man who challenged him.

I'm to be alone all night with him.

"Good evening, Lucy," Alvar says, his voice low as he closes the door behind him. He unbuttons his shirt down the front and as the gap of fabric widens I note a chiseled line running down his torso.

My breath hitches.

He's gorgeous. Powerfully built. On earth I'd never dreamed a man like this would undress in my bedroom.

Damn it! I hope he doesn't notice how red my face is or how I just visibly stared.

"Did you like the food?" Alvar asks, choosing the causal route.

"Y-yes," I stutter.

I hate the disappointment I feel when his gaze doesn't linger on me in an appreciative glance.

Maybe I'm too plain, even in this freaking goddess suit.

Alvar walks toward the fireplace, shrugs off his shirt from his muscular, broad back, and starts to undo his belt.

I decide if it does come to it, I'm not letting him take me without a fight. We had a deal. My fists clench and I back up against the bed, but I rest myself when I realize Alvar is still looking into the fireplace. He takes his belt off and places it gently on the mantle.

"The fire is beautiful, Lucy," he says. "Would you like to sit with me by it?" He turns to look at me. His face is pained as he studies my attire for the first time.

I wonder why. I wasn't sure what to expect from him over it, but pain?

"Would you please take that off?" His jaw is tense and eyes darken.

"What the—" I begin, appalled.

He wants me to get naked?

"I swear I won't look while you change. Just put on something different than that," he growls.

"Okay," I mumble. "You're freaking me out though. Has anyone said you're weird."

"Would you rather I tear it off you and have my way with you? That's the type of gown that is." Dark Alvar appears in full swing, however I catch a sarcastic sense of humor underneath it.