CHAPTER 22: NEW INFORMATION

It has been 8 months since the slaves arrived at Bethillore, and a little over 5 weeks since Kharis became Leonidas' woman. The wearh had his own way of reassuring her that she would do fine taking on the duties as the lady of the house, and just as he said, no one except those in the manor knows her intricate role in his life.

Ambrosia, on the other hand, was not too happy giving up a huge portion of her duty to a human, but she was now under Kharis' command, so there was nothing she could do except...

"Madam Ambrosia, I still don't understand why they're so many ledgers that need to be balanced."

"Unfortunately, My Lady, Lord Leonidas is in charge of Bethillore, not just his manor but the entire city, and because of his position, he rarely has the time to accommodate listening to disputes, so every dispute that needs to be addressed is written in here. Allocations are also piling up since we need to do it every two weeks. I stopped immediately you were declared Lord Leonidas' woman."

"And you didn't think to tell me all this before you piled up other duties I needed to attend to?"

"Forgive me, My Lady. Every now and then I forget that the lady of this manor is human and thus cannot do things with the same speed and accuracy as us wearhs. But then again, it is difficult to say you are a woman of the lord of this manor, talk more of the lady of this house as you are still...untouched."

With that, she bows her head, leaving the study with Kharis sitting there.

Shutting her eyes, the woman suppresses the urge to scream out in anger. She never intended to take her role from her! She never even wanted her role!

Why does she have to endure these snide comments from her? It is unfair!

A knock on the door snaps her out of her almost-tantrum moment.

"Enter"

Relief washes over the young woman's face as she watches her friends come inside.

"Stress is written all over your face Kharis," Greta says with a strained smile.

"I'll be alright now that you all are here," the woman replies.

Leonidas kept his promise in promoting Esme, Greta, and Gisella, into Misses. Now, they can call Kharis by her name, and have no night duties or morning labor to attend to.

Kharis was happy that her friends were getting along. The first few encounters were a bit awkward and led to a few mishaps.

"Can't you just be nice to her?" Kharis says, clearly upset with how their first meeting turned out.

"Kharis! I deeply apologize but how have you managed to be friends with that wearh?! Have you seen her smile?!"

"Of course, I've seen her smile, Gigi! I am not managing and she's a friend. Besides, I was the one who told her to keep smiling."

"Well, that was a terrible idea."

"Gigi, I think you're being a bit harsh," Greta says, before turning to Kharis.

"You should have been a bit more specific about her face."

"How deeper do you want me to get? I said her smile is not something you are used to!"

"Well that could mean a lot of things"

"Exactly Greta! I think I almost lost my baby because of her."

Kharis takes a step back from them, clearly upset.

"I can't believe after all we've been through, you still believe that the way we look matters more than the way we behave towards others"