Who to blame

Gray clouds hang over a temporary operations camp, multiple tents are set up for the T-dolls sent to this operation. Many rushes across the camp to get to the next mission. Pierce stands commanding transports of supplies, making sure all were accounted for and put in storage. Behind him approaches Mondragon, her rifle slung over her shoulder "Commander, our supplies are running low, trucks are getting slowed down by the mud and the attacks are becoming more frequent, our hold on he surrounding buildings of the hydro plant is starting to weaken."

Pierce took a deep breath and released a long exhale "When is our next supply transport scheduled?"

Mondragon can sense the building stress and frustration from her commander, the coming news will not sit well with him. "Due to the storm, our next supply drop off won't come until the storm has passed and we don't know when it will be." Silence between the T-doll and commander was stiff, only the sound of rain, shouts, and passing transport filled the air between them. "Well then, I guess we'll have to ration what we have on the camp and where we've distributed the rest." The RF T-doll was confused, sure gather the supplies on camp but including the supplies the commander donated as well? "Commander you don't mean-" she was interrupted "Its exactly what I mean. You're dismissed." The tone of the commander was not what she expected it was more stern with a hint of frustration and anger. As the commander walked to his hut, Mondragon was left in the rain to carry out her orders.

In another hut, CF-05, Bren, and C96 gather around a map of the territory waiting for Mondragon to come back with new orders from the commander. The cloth of the tent separates, Mondragon steps in and begins the brief "Right now supplies are low, our objective is the gather all existing supplies to camp and ration them, until the storm stops and transport can get the supplies we need. CF-05 and Bren take take your squads around the village and gather the supplies we've given to the locals and back here. C96 you will stay here and take inventory of what's left of our supplies here and what we got back."

The T-dolls were hesitant of the orders they received, take the supplies given to locals? Wasn't it the commanders idea to pass supplies out to the villagers? Was this the right call?

"If these are the orders, we ought to follow them right? Let's get a move on." CF-05 called out with some enthusiasm, though in the back of her mind was doubt and worry. "I must say, these orders are not like the commander, usually he's more rational than to take supplies from the villagers, even though he was the one to distribute them." Bren was the one to speak for the other T-dolls in the hut. It is wrong to take something that was initially given, the reason why is difficult to answer. "I believe the commander has more planned. He's going to gather everything and count them and give them back to everyone, right?" C96 with little more faith supported the commander, but like the rest she had doubts.

Mondragon pinched the bridge of her nose and looked back to her fellow T-dolls "Let's just get this over with. I'm sure the commander is prepared. I'll talk to him more about the supplies, so none of you will have to worry." Everyone nodded and made their way for the mission, leaving Mondragon to herself. "What's going on in that head of yours?"

_oOo_

The disheveled Mondragon sits in her cold and dim cell, trying to piece what could have lead up to this point.

The seizing of supplies.

Change of morality.

False reports.

What else could've change the commander, she once knows and cared for. And to give his life for atonement for what he's done in the past, to himself and his T-dolls. Why couldn't things be different? Why didn't it stay the same? Everything was better if they didn't go on that damn mission, if she and her friends didn't butt heads with each other when it started, if she just said something. But what's done is done.

The cell door opens revealing C96. She had a sadden look on her face, she can hardly keep eye contact with Mondragon, glancing back and forth from the ground and her sister.

"Hi" a greeting was the only thing she could muster to say. Mondragon and C96 looked at one another waiting for one to break the silence between them. For as long she can remember, C96 was always the shining light to an empty room, but Mondragon can see it slowly dimming. "Hey little broom-handle, you're a aight for sore eyes" Mondragon gave a half hearted smile. She didn't know why she was in the cell with her, standing timidly shifting side to side trying to think of what to say.

"Uh... CF-05 is taking charge around the base. Bren is making sure everyone is feeling better and... and" C96 stops, tears starts to well in her eyes, she try's to speak, but she chokes on her words "And... I just want everything to go back to normal" her tears fell to the cold concrete, each drop of tears felt like needles into Mondragon's heart. C96 continues to cry softly into her hands, Mondragon stands up and walks to her, kneeling to her height. Mondragon takes C96 hands and places her forehead onto hers "Its okay. Let it all out." C96 surprises Mondragin with a hug, her petite hands clung on to her worn maroon coat. C96 buried her face into her sister's shoulder, soft muffled cries and sniffles filled the quite cell.

"I missed you so much"

"I missed you too"

They're embraced lasted a few minutes, but to them it felt like and eternity, neither wanted to let go wanting to stay where they are. In each others warmth and comfort. Mondragon slowly separated from C96, her tears stopped and sniffles more tame. Mondragon wiped a single tear from C96 cheek, she held her hand to her red cheek.

"Better?"

C96 softly nodded her head.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course"

"Why did the commander change?"

That was a hard question to answer. So much happened in such a short period of time, that Mondragon had a hard time piecing the parts together. It all started on that support mission, it was suppose to be an in and out mission, but due to the strategic value of the area and they being the closest base to that operation. They were ordered to stay in the area and continue to support the existing echelons and even make assault missions. Maybe the  pressure got to him and was trying to find a way to make the situation easier on everyone. Keeping everyone safe was always his main concern, but that cloudy day was the day he was pushed over the edge and worst side of him came out. But was it out of concern for his T-dolls? She didn't know, but why did it come back to base? Why did he change? Why?

"Oh C96, I wish I can tell you the answer, but I really don't know. But I do know that he truly cared about everyone, but the way he went about it, was the wrong and it hurt more people than helped." Mondragon had C96 sitting in her lap, it reminded her whenever her and the commander would sit down together and read books till she fell asleep. C96 was always a child at heart. The two sat together in each others embrace, they reminisced on the old days. On the first day, Pierce was drowning in paperwork for all the T-dolls he just received, he had a certain pride for himself. Trying to do things his way and would insist that he had it handled.

"Thank, little dragon. I couldn't have done it without you."

"Will you stay by my side?"

"Tell them it's not your fault."