7

Evie picks at her cuticles and bounces her leg
rapidly up and down as she sits in front of the shrink for the second day in a row, something she barely likes to do once a week.

She answers the questions normally and without any thought, giving her raw, honest opinion to the person who stands between her and the air.

And yet, she doesn't know if she wants it, for she doesn't know if she can. She hasn't been in the cockpit for quite some time, and the thought of getting back in is equal parts exciting and terrifying.

" I get up easily," Dr. Rayowa states, posing as a question.

" Agree," Evie responds.

" I enjoy being part of a group," The shrink continues.

" Agree."

" I like to solve complex problems."

" Agree."

" I love to help others."

" Slightly agree."

The evaluation draws on for quite some time, but Evie stays for its entirety. She tells herself because it was an order from a superior officer, but really, she's doing it for herself.

" Does the thought of flying cause you any stress?"

" No."

" Do you believe that you are currently fit to serve in our nation's military and protect this country from threats, both foreign and domestic?"

" Yes."

" Do you feel confident in your ability to be reinstated as a United States Naval Aviator?"

" Yes."

Rayowa takes notes, scribbling away on her sheet of paper, and the lack of knowledge sends anxiety rushing through Evie's veins and fire striking her nerves. Her sense of duty and purpose is so close, that she can practically taste it. So close to getting back to the life she's always wanted, that was taken away from her a while ago. As Rayowa finishes her evaluation, she lifts her eyes up to meet the patient and smiles as she grabs a stamp.

" Congratulations, Lieutenant Cohen. I hearby clear you for service, effective immediately."

The shrink stamps the paperwork, making it official with the bright red ink, and Evie's eyes instantly light up as the corners of her lips twitch, daring to smile as her chest fills with glee

" Thank you.... ma'am," Evie affirms with a nod, " For everything."

And Rayowa shrugs off the compliment with a flick of her wrist.

" You know, you remind me of my sister," The shrink observes.

" The one back in Nigeria?" Evie asks.

The shrink nods.