17

While Evie may have recovered from her physical injuries, her emotional injuries are still present.

She fucked up.

She pushed Bradley away, and it was all her fault. Radio silence for days. He hasn't answered a single call. He hasn't so much as acknowledged her existence at all.

And on the day of the funeral, it becomes increasingly obvious.

They stand in uniform, watching the flag be folded up and presented to the wife as Taps plays and rings through their ears. The riffles are fired and Pete comes to the casket to punch his insignia into the crimson wood. He salutes as tears pool down his cheeks.

And over the cemetery, four jets fly by to complete the ceremony.

Pete and Penny seem to stick closer together, but the crowd begins to disperse

Pete and Penny seem to stick closer together, but the crowd begins to disperse. People share small talk around the grave in respect for the fallen commander.

Evie sticks to the sidelines, standing by a thick and shapely tree as she stares over at the horizon, feeling spaced out and dazed as she feels the discontentment in her heart.

" Well, well, well. As I live and breathe."

Evie's eyes become more open, more aware, her body tensing up at the horribly familiar voice.

" Grizzly," She sneers as she turns to the side.

" Whiskey," David says with an all too cocky grin on his face, " Did you finally stop bitching so you could get back in?"

" If I start bitching will you get away from me?" Evie snaps back.

" Awh, come on. You can't still be upset over it," He tsks as he rolls his eyes.

" Upset over our divorce? Where you got someone else knocked up because I told you I'm not ready for a baby?" She questions, stepping forward so she's inches away from him, " Not at all. I'm relieved."

" So you can just keep on drinking and acting like an idiot with no responsibilities?" David jests, " When are you gonna grow the fuck up?"

" Is that an order, Lieutenant Commander?" Evie mocks with a tilt of her head.

" It's Commander, now," He smirks, then steps even closer, " Which means, if I tell you to do something... you're gonna do it."

Her blood boils and her jaw clenches. She breathes deeply through her nose as she debates whether to punch a Commander in the face at this very moment. He's only one rank away from Captain, but right now all he is is an asshole.

" Is everything okay here?" Natasha asks as she makes her way over to the two, sensing a tension brewing.

" None of your business, Lieutenant," David brushes off.

" You wanna take it up with Admiral Simpson? See what he has to say?" Natasha threatens, crossing her arms as she stands merely a few feet away, " Or would you rather just walk away?"