13

Bradley is in bad shape for the rest of the day. He's pissed, and rightfully so, but truly, he hasn't coped with his father's death. He still blames Maverick, and that's exactly why it bothers him so much.

He just can't let go.

Something that Evie happens to be familiar with.

She can't truly let go of her failed marriage, not when it severely bruised her self-esteem. She still blames her ex-husband for having an affair, and that's exactly what fuels her anger.

Two pilots damned to remember the past and unable to let go of it. They hold onto it for dear life, as if letting go means letting go of themself.

But for once, Evie puts her own issues aside to check up on someone in need.

She finds Bradley pouring himself a cup of coffee in one of the admin rooms on base, and so she leans her shoulder against the doorway as she watches him.

" How you feeling?" She asks as he pours some sugar into his drink.

" What do you think?" Bradley mumbles as he stirs his drink.

" I think you need something stronger than coffee," Evie quips as she removes herself from the doorway to approach him, " You free tonight?"

And Bradley can't help but scoff.

" What happened to I don't know?" He ponders as he turns to face her.

" I'm trying," She states, attempting to bite her tongue, " So, you free tonight?"

" To do what?"

" Have a couple drinks?"

" Only a couple?"

" We can have more."

" You paying?"

" Obviously, I'm a gentleman," Evie says as if it's obvious.

" Alright," Bradley nods, " I'll pick you up at 6."

" It's a date," She says with a smile, that soon fades as soon as she realizes what she just said.

Date.

And that follows her all the way home, even when she's in the shower she can't stop thinking about how she called it a date.

Is it?

Or is it just two friends getting some drinks?

Evie runs through the questions as she gets dressed for her... outing. She brushes her dark shoulder-length hair and parts it down the middle. She throws on a sweater and jeans, but no bra. She picks a pair of black socks and black boots, then faces the mirror to apply her makeup. Light brown eyeshadow, mascara, concealer, chapstick and bronzer. And as she puts away her makeup, she finds a gold necklace that she hasn't worn in quite some time.

A necklace that was a gift for her bat mitzvah.