1

"I simply cannot agree to this, mother."

"I wish I could apologise," your mother, the Queen, sighed, massaging her forehead, "But it is what it is. You have to think of the greater good."

"The greater good? Really?" You scoffed, pulling your emerald gown up a bit as you sat on the chair, "You're selling me off for a greater good to someone I don't even know, you do realise that, Your Majesty?"

Your mother raised a brow in amusement at your use of her title, something you only did when you wanted to shout at her but couldn't because of obvious reasons. Her expressions changed into a frown as she said, "Would you rather Eden burn? Your father, his father, my father- we all have fought for prosperity, fought to keep peace between Eden and Wonderland-"

"Clearly did a bad job," you muttered, and your mother glared at you.

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," you lied, groaning as you kicked your legs in frustration, a tantrum something a 12 year old would throw, "Mother. With all due respect, mother... Just because my father and forefathers couldn't manage to keep peace with Wonderland does not mean they can use me as a means to end this- and there's still no guarantee we'd be okay after this. You treat me like an object, like a box of jewels being shipped to Wonderland. I am a human- I have a right to choose my partner."

"I have told you how beneficial the Prince of Wonderland would be, even if we put aside the actual reason," she swirled the wine in her glass lazily, "Wonderland is a wealthy nation. In the right hands, it could flourish even more- and I believe you could bring that along with the Prince."

Prince Yunho of Wonderland. The person you'd never seen in your life (if you forget about the time when you were 10 and went to Wonderland and shouted at the poor guy because he spilled soup on your new dress- dark times, a memory you'd rather forget) now about to be wed to you in an exchange for peace. You had scoffed at the idea way too many times.

Your father, the King, entered, frowning at how tense you two looked. "Everything alright?"

"Just convincing our dear old gem to think with her head," the queen said almost dismissively, which made you even angrier.

"I cannot believe you two are doing this to me," you shook your head, "You're both practically selling me off. If you make me do this... I'll never return. You can have your peace, but know that your only daughter won't be there with you. Consider her dead."

"My dear," the King's expressions softened as if he was about to change his mind, but your mother raised her hand in the air, standing up and looking down at you- she towered over you a good few inches.

"You can stay," her voice was steel, "But when your father and I are assassinated and Eden burns, know that all the blood will be on your hands."

You had never heard harsher words in a tone like this from your mother, and it broke something in your heart as tears welled in your eyes and you shook your head before rushing off to the safety of your room, almost hyperventilating, your maid Mina rushing in to rub your back and give you water, and you finally calmed down after a few minutes.

"I'm guessing it didn't go well?" Mina asked. You shook your head.

"They told me to think about the greater good, Mina. They're treating me like an object."

Mina hugged you and you were glad you had her by your side- she too, was alone and had only you or a few friends from the staff. She was the closest thing to a sibling, to a friend that you had. "I'm taking you with me if they marry me off."